VIdeo in Motion

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Fifty

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Good to hear... I just need a chance to call Mvi when I'm not on baby duty...

Baby is sick and screams a lot...can't hear phone; orput her down with out a verbal explosion...

Amazing how a 6 month old can terrorize a grown man

NowZoomer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Garbage. Causes lots of issues including backup camera taking longer to come on, not shutting off, breaking features on the 2016's etc.

Have also unfortunately had people with bricked radios that needed updates and this thing was squaking on the bus during programming. Also doesn't add any features such as texting, front camera support or new video formats etc. Plus you need to rip apart significantly more of the truck to install this thing. These have been out for awhile but this is why you never hear about anyone actually running one for any length of time. Not trying to be debbie downer just hate to see hack jobs like this making life difficult for people and then spending more money again to do it the right way :)

Are you affiliated with MVI in any way?

LGSONE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'd be curious to understand how this determination was reached, GTP, are you in the car audio business, long time? Not doubting you just curious. I've been doing systems in my cars for 30 years and you run into many opinions and experiences. I always like to get the nitty gritty out. If it is a crap piece I want no part of it but I find very little to be said bad about it.

LGSONE

jl449

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm going with MVI because of GTP. Back in the day people use to send their HMI to Chris. It was cheaper than MVI but there was no HMI swap. You had to install jumpers when you removed the HMI or wait until it gets back.
I'm going to wait until GTP adds Android Auto for 2015i. I did look at www.oemautopartsco.com but they wanted to replace 3 components and more expensive. One of the components was the USB in the front.
http://www.tahoeyukonforum.com/threads/sms-text-integration-demo-video.61683/#post-822620

GTPprix

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm not in the car audio business i'm in the vehicle networking/calibration/integration business. I own a company that does nothing but that and when things go wrong (as they do) we are typically the first call for many owners/dealers when they are trying to troubleshoot things like this, so we see it all.

The good news is because of this we can break this down and help everyone understand why this is a bad idea. You guys remember modems? Remember the old 33.6K Modems? Remember how insanely slow those were? Ok so say nearly every module in the cabin relied on data supplied at a 33.6K rate and there is a ton of data to be had. Are you visualizing that? Good because thats EXACTLY the speed of the low speed bus in our vehicles and thats whats happening LOL

So what these modules do is take data frames, intercept them and strip or change certain bytes and rebroadcast them. So you are interjecting a timing issue into an already slow bus speed and it leads to a slew of issues depending on temperature (most of these units aren't temperature compensated to save money) and bus load. So aside from power drain issues since these things don't wake up like the rest of the modules in the car and the fact they don't have a sleep mode to allow data to pass through to the radio head for programming (so you can't update the radio) when they are working they slow the response of the system down considerably especially with state changes IE backup cameras etc. Like I said the way they do this even bricks features on the 2016's because they rely on the state of the vehicle changing, with these modules it never does so if you ever wanted to upgrade to car play you wouldn't want this anyhow.

I've got to get going but literally I just googled for two seconds and found these snippets which is pretty indicative to what we've seen in the past from people (all of these modules work the same way):

"Plug everything in, and most importantly, test it before putting it back together! I thought I had tested this, but later found that the factory back-up camera would randomly not active or stay turned on all of the time"

"I went through two of these, and they both had intermittent issues. It caused a slow/delayed backup camera activation when going into Reverse and the radio would randomly not turn on with the vehicle. I'd have to turn the vehicle off/on."

Obviously at the end of the day its your choice and your truck, like I said just hate to see people get band aid products when there is a real OEM solution available that does more :)

LGSONE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well, perfect GTP. I'll send it back. Thank you for the explanation. Hard to find these days. Not to hijack but what are the options for Android Auto on the 15's and is this something you / MVI does? No bandaids on a 60K+ truck... been there... $%%^$ that.

LGSONE

Tregs

Reaction score
I was strongly considering the T harness from MVI until reading this. Is the harness from MVI also a bad idea? I like the idea that it is plug and play and can't be overwritten, but I don't want to install a problem.

LGSONE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well, interesting you say that because it sure looks like the PAC unit. Unless they have done something different internally? I called gm-nav to inquire about the programming and ask that very question. But until we get some concrete answers on Android Auto if MVI will be adding this I'm just going to send this back and wait. Just dropped a bunch of change on new stereo gear so that ought to keep me busy until we have some more answers. GTP did a nice job detailing things and I don't want the frustration or possibility of it.

LGSONE

GTPprix

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Not sure what the T-Harness is but if it has a module in it, don't get it. If its a splitter for video input it should be fine. As far as Android Auto is concerned supposedly there is an update coming in March to add it so at that point the CarPlay upgrade would have it as well but I'm not holding my breath. Worst case we'll have to work out the software on the 2017 modules to be correctly backward compatible which should be doable at that point. Either way shouldn't be very long.