Vortec 6000 6.0 liter ticking at idle

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

redemn93

Full Access Member
Reaction score
dude if that exists in an engine at all, seafoam isnt your problem lol. just because you buy a clean truck doesnt mean it was properly cared for. and even if it was, shit happens sometimes.

ccapehartusarmyINF.(ret)

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Okay
if it was yer lifters it would be very noisy and would get louder when you revved the engine and if you hear clattering lifters you got problems
always stick to the oil it says in the manual my tahoe calls for 5w30 i make it a point to never deviate from that unless your operating in extremely cold temperatures and im not talking 10 15 dagrees more like 20 below zero

---------- Post added at 03:09 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:59 PM ----------

5w30 is good to 20 below zero and well over 100 dagrees

Last edited:

livingez_123

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The oil in the pan gets filtered first, so anything ending up in the pan will get filtered out before it goes back in the system. if your that worried about it, change the filter, dump the sea foam, drive it for a day or two, then changed the oil and filter like normal. I have sea foamed my oil before every oil change since I have owned my truck. The tick was there when I bought it, and its still there 65k later.

Gshep

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Ticking Problem

I have the same ticking problem and after some research I looked at the manifold and on the pass side the rear is broken off and one other on that same side. After it is running for a few minutes it stops so it as to be the gasket leaking there. I ordered the aftermarket kit vs replacing the manifold right now and we shall see how that works.

mattluttrell

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The tick is likely gunk in a lifter preventing oil passage. The heavier oil will just get clogged more and the tick will remain or get worse.

Check YouTube for "engine tick and oil flush". You'll see a guy using oil flush to solve the tick.

He explains it all well.

01ssreda4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I agree, thicker oil isn't the solution. However, as my pictures demonstrate, if you choose to run a cleaner through your engine, you need to be aware of the higher then normal amount of crap that will be circulating and being filtered and follow a better then normal oil/filter change schedule to help remove it from the engine. The point of the pictures is exactly what dipwad above pointed to, just because the exterior is clean, there is no guarantee about the inside condition. Just be aware of what you are about to dislodge with an engine cleaner like seafoam.

redemn93

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i think he is referring to me.

01ssreda4 - listen, you want to start name calling, get your shit and leave.

if that is what is in your motor you have other, much bigger problems. cleaners dont make shavings unless you hydrolock. seriously, that is 10000% wrong. shavings like that should never ever exist in an engine to begin with. that is not normal. i pulled the pan for a gasket change on my old 220k mile 2001 5.3 and only had the most minute amount of sludge. i seafoam every 6 months. why? well, why not?

OP
OP
D

Denali60

Reaction score
I used mobil1 0w40 no more noise engine runs very smooth no ticking at all now

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dhrusso925