Wacky Fuel Gauge

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

largewon62

Reaction score
My fuel gauge in my 97 Yukon spins like crazy too. I use my Scan Gauge and it has kept me from running out of gas.

I calibrated My Scan Gauge with my GPS, comes fairly close. The actual gallons used is off by a gallon or two, but I can live with that. I would MUCH rather fix my gauge though. Any suggestions?

Immortalmort

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
No suggestions for repairing your gauge, but I find using the torque app for android and the elm 127 Bluetooth adapter works quite well for me. Shows % remaining, fuel used, litres per hour and all that jazz. Well worth the 40 $ for the app and adapter. Quite accurate too.

Asfalto

Reaction score
hi Immortalmort!
what year is your truck?
and..
do you really get the % of remainig fuel? that will be awesome!!
(my fuel gauge has gone..as many of ours)

thanks

Immortalmort

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Like I said above, with an Android phone, get the Torque pro application (~5$) and use a Bluetooth adapter with your OBD2 port on your truck. It will ask you to make a profile of your vehicle (fuel capacity, weight, engine size, ect.) and makes calculations based upon that. Then, in the "real time data" section of the app, there are options to have fuel % remaining, range, mileage and a host of other cool things.

However, the fuel level % is NOT calculated from the fuel level sensor in our trucks (not sure about 0411 pcm's, but the stock one on my 98 doesn't). You have to manually tell the program how much fuel you have in your tank, and it calculates the remaining fuel by subtracting the fuel YOU say is in the tank against how much fuel the truck is burning at the time, only as the sensors on the truck poll it.

I"m not sure if this app is available for other phones/operating systems (apple, blackberry, windows) and have heard that the ELM 127 adapter quality can be questionable when buying online, so please do so at your own risk! Sorry for the late reply!

Link to the ELM adapter that I have:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Auto-ELM327...251?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item4855da1a4b

Last edited:

Asfalto

Reaction score
thank you Immortalmort for your explanation! no problem for the late reply.
it will be a quick and cheap try!
thanks again
bye

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pnut