Weird noise coming from rear advice please

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

06xl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So I've noticed a weird sound coming from the rear short of rubbing noise like metal on metal but very very faint when turning right and vehicle is in motion. It sounds like its coming from the rear brakes. I tried lighting holding brakes and not holding brakes when turning I hear it either way. I'm clueless also after 1000 miles on new pads I still smell that usual brake pad smell when having new pads is that still possible after 1000 miles??? I want to say the smell is mostly coming from the rear possible brakes stuck? Holding? And if so I don't feel it at all maybe cause its the rear brakes and they are not as strong as front?? I've put the car in drive no gas and it feels like its moving freely with no noise unless I turn right.

Thanks in advance

Rivieraracing

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Have you tried messing with the parking brake when it's making the noise? It's a different set of drum pads within the same rotor and might be dragging or loose!

Mac

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sounds like a stuck caliper due to brake hose collapsing on it self.

Change brake hose.
Check Caliper and guide pins for free movement.
:)

OP
OP
06xl

06xl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Have you tried messing with the parking brake when it's making the noise? It's a different set of drum pads within the same rotor and might be dragging or loose!

Yeah i know what you talking about when I change rotors I seen the shoes they were in great condition and snug in there place unjust sprayed brake cleaner and moved on and to answer your ? No I have no tried messing with it it works good holds tight Sony don think that's the issue

OP
OP
06xl

06xl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sounds like a stuck caliper due to brake hose collapsing on it self.

Change brake hose.
Check Caliper and guide pins for free movement.
:)

What do you mean by brake hose collapsing on it self? And I will check GUide pins for movement and let you know the results.

chevyboy831

Reaction score
you sure its brakes and not sway bar bushings? like a squeek? not trying to be a smart ass. ive run into a similar condition on a few gm's where its worn bushings.

OP
OP
06xl

06xl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It's deff not a squeak I'm sure of that.ots hard to describe the sound metal to metal is the best way I can put it on the other hand it not that metal to metal you hear when your brakes are shot no were near that sound just a faded metal to metal sound

M Hankel

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It's deff not a squeak I'm sure of that.ots hard to describe the sound metal to metal is the best way I can put it on the other hand it not that metal to metal you hear when your brakes are shot no were near that sound just a faded metal to metal sound

Metal to metal can be different things. Is it a clunk, bang, ping, or scraping noise?

Mike

OP
OP
06xl

06xl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I would say scraping but that word makes me think of worn brake pads hitting rotors which the sound is no were near that.

chevyboy831

Reaction score
hmmm... maybe brake hardware rubbing? did the hardware get changed when the brakes were done?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoeR4065