Weird noise coming from rear advice please

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
06xl

06xl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Two things I might look at-

The panhard bar meets the rear axle housing on a pivot joint. Sometimes where that joint meets the axle housing can crack at the weld and only squeak when turning/hitting bumps.

2nd and more probable- Check your rear axle bearings for play. If they're moving at all when you're turning you'll hear a metal to metal from the brakes not being in line.

Just some ideas!

To check the rear axle bearing all I have to do is lift truck up an try to shake tire if it has play then that's bad is that correct??

OP
OP
06xl

06xl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So here's a update the rear left caliper was sticking so I just replace both side and all new brake hardware greased all parts to death and no more noise.

OP
OP
06xl

06xl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
2nd update haven't put no more then 50miles on new calipers I noticed today when driven the truck turning right (noise coming from DS rear) the noise gets louder then when on a straight path but after 1/4 mile the noise stops I guess what ever part is rubbing is warmed up by then???? Clueless over here . On a good note no more smoking or burnt brake pad smell from DS caliper after replacing..

dwmmatt23

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ever figure it out? Im getting the same kind of rotational metal squeek and goes away under braking, my rotors and pads are new as well. Im thinking maybe U-joints as a possibility but dont know if they would go away under braking

greenhornet

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I also have been chasing a odd metallic pulsating groan from my @000 Tahoe. First I thought it was u joints ,replaced, CV axles ,good, wheel bearings,front ,good, rear diff,,hard to tell on stands. Only started around 30 mph then steady growl around 60mph. Finally took it to another trans. shop and they ended up replacing the carrier bearings and the axle bearings,man is it smooth and quiet now. Carrier bearings were worn out bad causing the diff, assy. to rotate ever so slightly off center.

OP
OP
06xl

06xl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ever figure it out? Im getting the same kind of rotational metal squeek and goes away under braking, my rotors and pads are new as well. Im thinking maybe U-joints as a possibility but dont know if they would go away under braking

No haven't figured it out but I haven't herd the sound lately. Is yours coming from the left rear??

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Trojjan