Well crap...nicked aluminum heater line

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
mijohnst

mijohnst

Full Access Member
Reaction score
There is always those aluminum ones from Gruven Parts for $75 each. They don't break down the road.

I have to agree. I don't like those Dorman replacements. I can't tell you how many times the stupid o-ring fell out and I'd have to go search for it.

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
One tube is hot

The other is cold

No warm air, correct?

Is the tube warm at the back of the vehicle? You can crawl under by the RR tire and feel. They run all the way back by the frame rail

Trying to determine flow vs. conducting heat from coolant passing nearby
in normal operation both would be hot, if one was cold then that would mean the heater core is plugged/clogged and the coolant could not flow in & out, same for the rear heater core which is where those lines go that is why there a "T" there. I guess theoretically one might get slightly cooler than the other once it has passed thru the heater core fins but it wouldn't be much.

BG1988

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I can pull an entire line off of a junker but I think it's going to be a nightmare to pull one out. :/ Isn't it one continuous piece from the front heater core to the back one?
you will need to weld (soldering)it but being aluminum good luck...

I mean they do solder A/C copper pipes can't see why you can't do it with Aluminum

Black Limited

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I tried it anyway just because I was curious and it leaked. lol I'm glad I tried it though because I would have always wondered. I took it out and put in my backup plan with the piece I cut from one in the junkyard with rubber tubing and hose clamps. It seems to be working just fine and the tubing is snug. Here is a picture of that.

Now on to my next issue... I was testing the heat to make sure all works the back is not. The front works great but the back blows cool air. I let it run for about 30 minutes with the air blasting in the back on full heat but it never warmed up. I noticed that only one of the lines running back there is getting hot. The one that I repaired is warm, but not hot like the other one. I just bought this Tahoe and I don't know if it's wasn't working before I bought it. All tubes have coolant running through them so I'm wondering if the actuator or the controller in the back are bad... From one thing to the next. lol...

View attachment 238216

Black Limited

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I did the same repair on my 05 Sub, cut both aluminum lines, one had a pin hole in it...………….

Cut out section to give me more flex, lower then you show in the picture, also double clamped for safety.

The black " T" plastic connector has a different angle going down.

OP
OP
mijohnst

mijohnst

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I did the same repair on my 05 Sub, cut both aluminum lines, one had a pin hole in it...………….

Cut out section to give me more flex, lower then you show in the picture, also double clamped for safety.

The black " T" plastic connector has a different angle going down.

Hey, good idea. I think I'll go back and double camp mine too. It sure makes it easier getting those suckers in. lol

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Austin19