What’s wrong with those tires on the pictures?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mountie

Supporting Member
Reaction score
When i’m at the track (in the race car, not the tahoe, haha) I can get that same pattern if I scrub the tire too hard and overheat the rubber. I think it’s called graining. I would say that is indicative of a previous test drive peeling out around a corner more than of anything else. As others have said the tires have dry rot anyways so you’ll want to replace anyways. As for the rear of the Tahoe, it’s a solid axle so there isn’t any camber adjustment to be had.
( race cars.. yea... )...... For a while, I worked for the Corvette guy, Dick Guldstrand ( Burbank, Ca)...... He aligned the rear axle on my '88 GMC truck. I didn't 'hit' anything, but after years of driving, it needed a little adjustment.

keithcruiser

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Hey,

has anyone an idea what might have caused the tires to wire out unevenly? Those are the 2 rear tires. Front looks like normal but back is much more worn out. Not just on the sides but tire tread overall.

Is this an alignment issue or could it be something else? Brake calipers are pretty rusty but brakes seem to work completely fine. Can’t tell any difference.

It’s a used Escalade I’m interested in purchasing it. Thanks

keithcruiser

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Without knowing the history of the vehicle, My guess is like “Marky Dissod”, those tires were on the front axle and have just been rotated. When you have new tires installed, get a wheel alignment so the same thing doesn’t happen again.

petethepug

Michael
Reaction score
Uhhh, dry rot from being a tire baking in the sun. Maybe because the rim was purchased from a wrecked vehicle sitting in a wrecking yard.

It looks like the (internal) cord has snapped or it’s ready to. The belt is ready to separate from the sidewall. When that occurs it takes the wiring harness behind the firewall with it as well as allowing the harness to wrap around the front drive axle if 4WD.

It’s also the perfect recipe for a rollover and can put you at liability for causing an accident when your tire tread slaps into cars following you causing more accidents.
9FCCFC8A-86AC-4C86-8C19-4F7D6026AA21.gif

OP
OP
X

xycrazy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sorry, this has nothing to do with the tires but maybe you can help me to understand whether this is a big deal or not. So we're negotiating with the dealer (no haggle price dealer) about the things and we found solutions for almost everything. However, they tell me they're not going to do anything about the seal that comes off from the rear passenger window. I think they wanna go the easy route. The car is still in warranty and I'm going to buy extended warranty anyways. Do you think this is a big deal or will it be easily fixed by Cadillac under warranty? Thanks

Attachments

• IMG_5293.jpg
    IMG_5293.jpg
    117 KB · Views: 6

mountie

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Sorry, this has nothing to do with the tires but maybe you can help me to understand whether this is a big deal or not. So we're negotiating with the dealer (no haggle price dealer) about the things and we found solutions for almost everything. However, they tell me they're not going to do anything about the seal that comes off from the rear passenger window. I think they wanna go the easy route. The car is still in warranty and I'm going to buy extended warranty anyways. Do you think this is a big deal or will it be easily fixed by Cadillac under warranty? Thanks
Their body shop should solve that....

OP
OP
X

xycrazy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Their body shop should solve that....
Well they just said they will but I wonder if I should better take it to the Cadillac dealership since the car is with CarMax and I don't know about their quality when it comes to such repairs

91RS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I would take that to the dealer, they’ll replace it under warranty. Carmax will probably do some stupid crap and try and glue it or something.

DenaliCountry

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey,

has anyone an idea what might have caused the tires to wire out unevenly? Those are the 2 rear tires. Front looks like normal but back is much more worn out. Not just on the sides but tire tread overall.

Is this an alignment issue or could it be something else? Brake calipers are pretty rusty but brakes seem to work completely fine. Can’t tell any difference.

It’s a used Escalade I’m interested in purchasing it. Thanks
The maintanence records or carfax you shared on another post shows that 2 tires were mounted and balanced recently. Tells me they only replaced 2 instead of all 4. The 2 you have pictures of are most likely the 2 original ones.

Last edited: