What are these extra wiring harnesses for? (Manx & Universal)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Maverick803

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I have several extra wiring harnesses hanging down from the left side of the driver's dashboard underneath.

On is labeled: "Manx/ManxU Harness REV:B3 W230224008577"
The other: "Universal Harness + Installation Kit"

Pictures attached

1.) What are each of these?
2.) What would the different ports be used for?

I do not have any trailering or hauling experience.
Research turned up with a lot of random things on the Manx, and the other looks like an extension kit. Curious what the previous owner was using the for / what might be installed that I'm unaware of?

Thank you in advance for your help!

Attachments

• 20240904_153221.jpg
    20240904_153221.jpg
    285.3 KB · Views: 7
  • 20240904_153225.jpg
    20240904_153225.jpg
    181 KB · Views: 8

jgraves

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm absolutely guessing but the large connectors are OBD2, most like for something like a pedal commander, auto stop disable or to record vehicle data (fleet or insurance babysitter, etc). The one with the fuse holder could be modifying the light behaviour (fogs always on, etc).

I have no direct experience with either type of device but have tapped light signals in that area.

Jeff

StephenPT

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Possibly taping in for a radar detector or some other aftermarket accessory. Definitely not wiring for a brake controller. There's no need to tap into the OBD port for a brake controller. If there isn't an OEM trailer brake controller, the wires are taped up underneath the dash and you only connect to those wires. If it were my rig I would rip out all of that aftermarket wiring. Hopefully they didn't use any scotch locks on your OEM wiring...

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have several extra wiring harnesses hanging down from the left side of the driver's dashboard underneath.

On is labeled: "Manx/ManxU Harness REV:B3 W230224008577"
The other: "Universal Harness + Installation Kit"

Pictures attached

1.) What are each of these?
2.) What would the different ports be used for?

I do not have any trailering or hauling experience.
Research turned up with a lot of random things on the Manx, and the other looks like an extension kit. Curious what the previous owner was using the for / what might be installed that I'm unaware of?

Thank you in advance for your help!
does not appear to be oem follow the wires to the prize! could be a gps tracker from loan company or anything really
could have been for a dash cam if it was previously owned by a business, some connect cameras and gps to keep track of there employee's and that is usually tied into the obd port to monitor speed, driving behavior, etc

Last edited:

UsualSuspect

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It's not OEM, that company makes harnesses to make add-on's plug and play with the OEM plugs provided.
This jewel is a GPS tracking device that recorded latitude/longitude, speed, heavy accelerations, braking, cornering statistics and was actively uploading the data via an internal cellular modem. This was being driven daily by one of my employees, who happened to notice there was a green and yellow light flickering on a box hidden up under the dash, he didn't know what it was.
He brought it into the shop, asked my mechanic what it was. My mechanic tracked down the manufacturer, who supplies them to the auto industry to gather driving stat's, and sells the data to 3rd parties.
This was on a 23 Sierra 2500, it was purchased while in transit on the rail, back when vehicles were tough to get. Here is a picture of a device that the dealership claimed they had no idea what it was, or how it came to be installed, the second picture is the SIM Card.
Unfortunately for the dealership, there was a paper trail, and it was installed by them. In California there are privacy laws that prevent installing this without informing the purchaser, this wasn't disclosed, nothing in any of the paperwork, it was a cash purchase, no finance company involved, the truck was at the dealership less than 48 hours from dropoff to delivery.
I can't name the dealership, they agreed to settle out of court for their misdeed, and they had to inform all of their customers the device was installed, and the dealership remove it at no cost, or supply the instructions on how to remove it. I wasn't looking for a payout, it's unethical the way they went about installing them, then denying they installed it in numerous correspondence. I would not do it to one of my customers, I expect the same when I am a customer.
IMG_1844.jpegIMG_1845.jpeg

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jocooter