What did you do to your NNBS GMT900 Tahoe/Yukon Today?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

89Suburban

Bull in the china shop
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The newer one appears to have about 1.5 fewer active coils. If all else is equal, this would result in a firmer ride. But, the metallurgy and/or shock valving could be different, yielding a similar or even softer ride. Looking forward to your assessment.

Maybe that is why I was skitzing over the smooth ride code, coils may be different between the 2? It's definitely sitting about an inch higher. I hope it settles back down so it doesn't *** up my rear drop plans. The tag on it said it might and that it will.

Just Fishing

Can't fix stupid
Reaction score
According to some on here, new coil springs don't settle!

:rolleyes::chewie:

I'm not sure about the reference, but i'm sure there is a break-in timeframe.

Like shocks...
I went for a nice offroad adventure right after installing mine.
and I'm still hitting every speed bump.
I want my soft ride back damnnit!! :jester:

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Maybe that is why I was skitzing over the smooth ride code, coils may be different between the 2? It's definitely sitting about an inch higher. I hope it settles back down so it doesn't *** up my rear drop plans. The tag on it said it might and that it will.

Stay true to your redneck fashion and yeet that mofo over some whoops. That'll settle them new coils.

Just Fishing

Can't fix stupid
Reaction score
My new lifters disassembled.
1656865505636.png
I didn't get a picture of it apparently, but the oil feed hole is in line with the roller.
Where the current lifters have it on the side of the roller.
Meaning my current lifters feed from the side of the oil feed in the block.
These new ones are to be pointed directly into the main oil gally.

A lifter identical to the lifters currently in my tahoe
1656865565264.png

Valving is a little different.

In the new lifters there is an oil feed hole that's positioned away from the lifter feed hole.
And the new lifters are super tight clearances.
Disassembling and reassembling it's very noticeable.

Then I had one of the lifter retainer clips fly off on me while cleaning and checking each lifter.
:banghead:

So i started looking at clips from my old lifters.
the clip from the above image is almost a square.
It would work, but not quite as tight..

Then I go into the bin of stuff I haven't thrown out yet.
the Original 5.3 lifters have a clip that's identical to these new lifters.
:hmmm2:

So, I take it apart to compare.
1656865873300.png

Identical to the new lifters!

I also noticed the pushrod feed hole in them is also not lined up with the feed hole in the lifter body.

Hopefully this cures my issue.
If not, then I'm going for different valve springs.
Hopefully I can keep my titanium keepers, but whatever at this point.

While I have the heads off, I'll plan the spring valve swap out.
Then I get the excitement of new lifter preload calculations!
:yaoface2:

I'll do the same "shiming the rockers" up by .040 to correct the rocker geometry, so I'll have some room for adjustment later if needed.

89Suburban

Bull in the china shop
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The newer one appears to have about 1.5 fewer active coils. If all else is equal, this would result in a firmer ride. But, the metallurgy and/or shock valving could be different, yielding a similar or even softer ride. Looking forward to your assessment.

It rides BEAUTIFUL. But it's def 1-2" higher sitting though. The whole truck is now exactly level. If they don't "set down" i'm going to do the strut under the arm "drop" with the grade 8-9 bolts so it will match my rear 2" drop plans. I already did a dry one on one side to see how it would sit. Home Depot was wiped out of grade 8 nuts so I have to wait and order them on line and will look for the grade 9 anyway. The Ranchco hardware kit @kbuskill posted ways back in this thread is now obsolete or I would def go with that.

Holy sh*t. Was that making a bunch of noise?

Not a peep.

Where did you order from.?

1A Auto.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DwaneM