What did you do to your NNBS GMT900 Tahoe/Yukon Today?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Reaction score
I'll do like Wes and load it down with everything on. I'd like to know what my amp is pulling when I have that 10" throwing down, anyway.

That's like me waaay back in the early 2000s. Before they were outlawed, I bought an O2 sensor simulator for my '02 S10 from an online source. Bad tune with a supercharger had the cat clogged by 30K miles so it was cut out. Not long after, the company and any other companies making and/or selling O2 sims were shut down. I was tempted to dissect mine and replicate it. Turns out, I didn't have to. A little research showed they were just a 555 square wave generator. That's all that was needed to keep the PCM happy.

I think there are still "performance chips" on ebay that are nothing more than a 5-cent resistor made to replace the IAT sensor. They epoxy it inside of a pretty case with some "racing" brand sticker on it and sell it for $xx.
You referring to "MIL" eliminators? Basically a resistor with a male plug on one side, female on the other, heat shrinked together that just plugged inline with the rear O2s when running no cats to fool the ECM?

I used to run them on the 02 mustang and I still have them in the garage, lol

20230805_214519.jpg

Reaction score
Drove it home from Gatlinburg. 539 miles each way to/from the cabin. Trip total was 1,219 miles. So almost 200 miles driving around the area going to attractions and sight seeing. Drove near the North Carolina state line to go white water rafting. A lot of 2 lane winding roads going through the woods and up and down hills/mountains. I made use of the powertrain grade braking when going down the steep winding grades by switching into tow/haul mode. Hardly had to use the brakes.

Used 93 octane, got fuel 3 times. On the last fill up halfway home my alky is at 2% and my range was like 450 miles. Not bad for a 6.2l AWD with 5 passengers, luggage, snacks, cooler, souvenirs, and going ~80 mph. It had no problem going up the mountains or passing vehicles.

Also got a little muddy while at the river rafting place. It was a rainy day and the dirt road and parking area was pretty muddy.

Onlyone

Full Access Member
Reaction score
No need for 91-93 if you have a reliable source for the corn. Better performance than the 91-93 but cheaper than the 87 (that you shouldn't be running, anyway)!
I’m so glad I found the one station with corn! We only have 85-87-91 here in New Mexico. I’ve always ran 91 but the prior owner only ran 85. No wonder it was sluggish when I bought it.

This 6.2 is quite powerful in such a large truck. Not as powerful as my Jeep but pretty close. Crazy that they weigh close to the same.

Last edited:

mattbta

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'll do like Wes and load it down with everything on. I'd like to know what my amp is pulling when I have that 10" throwing down, anyway.

That's like me waaay back in the early 2000s. Before they were outlawed, I bought an O2 sensor simulator for my '02 S10 from an online source. Bad tune with a supercharger had the cat clogged by 30K miles so it was cut out. Not long after, the company and any other companies making and/or selling O2 sims were shut down. I was tempted to dissect mine and replicate it. Turns out, I didn't have to. A little research showed they were just a 555 square wave generator. That's all that was needed to keep the PCM happy.

I think there are still "performance chips" on ebay that are nothing more than a 5-cent resistor made to replace the IAT sensor. They epoxy it inside of a pretty case with some "racing" brand sticker on it and sell it for $xx.
When I got my 98Z with the BW T-56, I ended up buying the LG Motorsports skipshift eliminator because it was an easy harness with whatever resistor needed to fool the computer. We also played the resistor dance with the IAT sensor to try and get more timing. I wasn’t smart enough at that age (18/19) to know what I was looking at with my AutoTap to tell if the IAT resistor actually did anything. But hey, we were at the forefront with these great LS motors. Hated AIR/EGR nonsense. Had some O2 sims on my 99 T/A. Good times. Kinda why I doubt I’ll let go of this 2004.

Thanks for the stroll down memory lane.

the_tool_man

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I dug into the Yukon headlights yesterday. I cleaned all the connectors with De-Oxid, and tested the lights using a 12V power supply. I put everything back together and all was working fine. Then I put the bumper cover back on and noticed the DS low beam was out again! I balled up my fist like The Fonz and rapped on the light, and it came on. So I still have a loose connection somewhere. I'll try again this afternoon.

20230805_174544.jpg

20230805_174555.jpg

20230805_155519.jpg

j91z28d1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
When I got my 98Z with the BW T-56, I ended up buying the LG Motorsports skipshift eliminator because it was an easy harness with whatever resistor needed to fool the computer. We also played the resistor dance with the IAT sensor to try and get more timing. I wasn’t smart enough at that age (18/19) to know what I was looking at with my AutoTap to tell if the IAT resistor actually did anything. But hey, we were at the forefront with these great LS motors. Hated AIR/EGR nonsense. Had some O2 sims on my 99 T/A. Good times. Kinda why I doubt I’ll let go of this 2004.

Thanks for the stroll down memory lane.

I had a 02 z28 manual. got it new, thing was stripped down, even had roll up windows. only real option it had was the factory Hurst shifter. man I miss that car. it was such a good daily/beater. never really broke, ran all over the country with it, got it sideways on pikes peak before they paved it. towed the motorcycles trailer to the mountains all the time from Florida.

got stolen in New Orleans exactly one month after they stole my 96 2 door obs parked next to it. you could see the wiped the dew off the window and looked in. I joked they couldn't drive stick and took the truck. jokes was on me. they took it a month later. got the obs back quickly, z28 got recovered a few years later in a FBI drug thing. someone had took a liking to the z. changed out the base seats for leather, put a cowl hood on it, bigger cheesey wheels haha. I had taken the cash and replaced it long before they found it. insurance wouldn't give it to me, they wanted the 9k$ they gave me for it back and then they would fix repair it. I even ask to buy it salvage but they wouldn't even tell me what auction it was going it. it was a shame. the c6 I replaced it with, while better in every way just misses something those old camaros had. can't put my finger on it.. but ugh.

I did get to fly back over while it was at the wrecker lot. dude changed the ign key, but the hatch still opened with my key. got my subs and amp back after all that time lol.

j91z28d1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I dug into the Yukon headlights yesterday. I cleaned all the connectors with De-Oxid, and tested the lights using a 12V power supply. I put everything back together and all was working fine. Then I put the bumper cover back on and noticed the DS low beam was out again! I balled up my fist like The Fonz and rapped on the light, and it came on. So I still have a loose connection somewhere. I'll try again this afternoon.

View attachment 405449

View attachment 405450

View attachment 405451

thats so annoying. I do like the look of them thou.

when I did mine there's a youtube video of how to get them out without pulling the whole bumper cover off. if that makes it easier.

I see a 280z. that's rare!

j91z28d1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Drove it home from Gatlinburg. 539 miles each way to/from the cabin. Trip total was 1,219 miles. So almost 200 miles driving around the area going to attractions and sight seeing. Drove near the North Carolina state line to go white water rafting. A lot of 2 lane winding roads going through the woods and up and down hills/mountains. I made use of the powertrain grade braking when going down the steep winding grades by switching into tow/haul mode. Hardly had to use the brakes.

Used 93 octane, got fuel 3 times. On the last fill up halfway home my alky is at 2% and my range was like 450 miles. Not bad for a 6.2l AWD with 5 passengers, luggage, snacks, cooler, souvenirs, and going ~80 mph. It had no problem going up the mountains or passing vehicles.

Also got a little muddy while at the river rafting place. It was a rainy day and the dirt road and parking area was pretty muddy.

love that area up there.

the_tool_man

Full Access Member
Reaction score
thats so annoying. I do like the look of them thou.

when I did mine there's a youtube video of how to get them out without pulling the whole bumper cover off. if that makes it easier.

I see a 280z. that's rare!
I figured someone would mention the headlight shortcut. I tried it once and found it to be almost as much work with higher risk of cracking a tab off the back of the headlight or scratching the paint. With my panel tool and a cordless ratchet I can get the cover off in 10 minutes.

Love my Z. I would love it more if it ran. But that's a story for another day.

j91z28d1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
ahh cool. just thought I'd mention it.

I've not had mine all the way off.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Howler71

Latest posts