What did you do to your NNBS GMT900 Tahoe/Yukon Today?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

dkad260

Full Access Member
Reaction score
@Doubeleive Are you using inner clips on the U joint, the ones under the yoke?

Did you tap the yoke with a hammer to make sure the joint was seated and free to move?

I had an issue recently where I had to use a thinner clip on the front shaft after a U joint change....couldn't get it to free up as much as needed.

I also had a driveline shop near me totally screw up both my driveshafts and I'm replacing both with 2 new shafts from the Driveshaft Store...cut my losses.

dkad260

Full Access Member
Reaction score
We posted at the same time.

the u-joints into the ear so hard it cracked the needle bearing holder, they sent it out like that

Yikes.

Mine wasn't as bad as yours but the incompetentcy is close.

I had new U joints also, and I had to change the inner clips, was too tight with the others.

It started when my shop straightened a bent ear at the rear, then balanced, destroyed my slip yoke in the balancing process, was horribly out of balance after they were done.

I took it to their sister shop and same deal, they added so much weight it could be a boat anchor. Now it runs in a slight oval and is "balanced" but I also have a slight vibration at 70-80.

It's maddening that a shop that builds driveshafts can mess something up so bad.

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
We posted at the same time.

Yikes.

Mine wasn't as bad as yours but the incompetentcy is close.

I had new U joints also, and I had to change the inner clips, was too tight with the others.

It started when my shop straightened a bent ear at the rear, then balanced, destroyed my slip yoke in the balancing process, was horribly out of balance after they were done.

I took it to their sister shop and same deal, they added so much weight it could be a boat anchor. Now it runs in a slight oval and is "balanced" but I also have a slight vibration at 70-80.

It's maddening that a shop that builds driveshafts can mess something up so bad.
I bought mine from Dorman, they build them to order. I am leaning towards the rear end I have had pinion vibrations before on a previous vehicle and this is not exactly the same but pretty similar, the slop is what is bothering me the most.

Denali2k8

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Before & After! Still need to wrap or paint the chrome strip on the hood. And then keep deleting all things chrome...

Attachments

• PXL_20230822_175739264.jpg
    PXL_20230822_175739264.jpg
    374 KB · Views: 4
  • PXL_20230822_195333641.jpg
    PXL_20230822_195333641.jpg
    389 KB · Views: 4

dkad260

Full Access Member
Reaction score
the slop is what is bothering me the most.
Copy that....iirc, your slop is in the front correct?

With regards to the pinion yoke, can you move it side to side?

FWIW, I don't know if this was before or after I had my frankenshaft in use, but I can move the front slip yoke in the rear output of the transfer case slightly.

I spoke to a shop who rebuilds these 4485's and they mentioned there's some slight movement in the TC tailshaft, but they couldn't convey exactly how much.

To me, I want to speculate this is borderline too much....my TC tailshaft. Hopefully this wasn't caused by my egg-shaped shaft the 30 miles I drove home on.

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Copy that....iirc, your slop is in the front correct?

With regards to the pinion yoke, can you move it side to side?

FWIW, I don't know if this was before or after I had my frankenshaft in use, but I can move the front slip yoke in the rear output of the transfer case slightly.

I spoke to a shop who rebuilds these 4485's and they mentioned there's some slight movement in the TC tailshaft, but they couldn't convey exactly how much.

To me, I want to speculate this is borderline too much....my TC tailshaft. Hopefully this wasn't caused by my egg-shaped shaft the 30 miles I drove home on.

about the same as mine, mine might have slightly less, probably not the problem the service manager at the dealership told me they used to hone those out to make them even more sloppy so you wouldn't feel it. my rear pinion has no side to side play at all.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Chevy100