What did you do to your NNBS GMT900 Tahoe/Yukon Today?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Reaction score
That's the one thing I haven't done to this rig yet. I run 89 because I get a pre det knock on the 87. And towing the boat too. Should I still try the E85 due to this?
If your rig is Flexfuel capable, won't hurt to try. E85 is like 105-110 octane.

I've heard mine ping a bit on 93 octane when punching it when getting on the highway (have a Diablo tune on it) but it doesn't do it when running E85

89Suburban

Bull in the china shop
Supporting Member
Reaction score

I've heard mine ping a bit on 93 octane when punching it when getting on the highway (have a Diablo tune on it) but it doesn't do it when running E85
No trying to find somebody local that actually has it...

RooTBeeRthe1st

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Freeing up the oil control ring and swapping my valve cover basically stopped my oil consumption. It was consuming a quart about 2500 miles too. It had also started smoking at start up after long drives on the interstate. I just sucked some water through the intake while revving it slightly. I took a water bottle and poked a small hole in the lid so it would spray a fine mist/stream in the intake while I had someone rev it. I did that around 150k miles.
What's the reason for a valve cover change?

justchecking

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score

Which Diablo tune do you have on it? I have Diablo Tow tune and am running 93 Octane. My first camper tow with tune and 93 octane will be next week in prep for Ohio turkey season.

pwtr02ss

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What's the reason for a valve cover change?
I can't remember what year yours is but mines an 08. Somewhere around 10-11, they changed the design of the valve cover to reposition the pcv system. This helps with oil consumption. The reason for the upper engine soak/clean is to free the rings up from all the previously consumed oil. I'd bet if you did those things, you'd fix your problem

Reaction score
Which Diablo tune do you have on it? I have Diablo Tow tune and am running 93 Octane. My first camper tow with tune and 93 octane will be next week in prep for Ohio turkey season.
The Performance tune, 93 octane.

I only run 93 or E85

I think I might have an economy tune, that's supposed to sacrifice some performance for better mileage. With these higher gas prices I might install it and try it for a couple weeks and see how it does.

RooTBeeRthe1st

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I can't remember what year yours is but mines an 08. Somewhere around 10-11, they changed the design of the valve cover to reposition the pcv system. This helps with oil consumption. The reason for the upper engine soak/clean is to free the rings up from all the previously consumed oil. I'd bet if you did those things, you'd fix your problem
I have a 14 so I suppose my valve covers are good.
My catch can doesn't collect very much...hope I have sticky rings.

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Freeing up the oil control ring and swapping my valve cover basically stopped my oil consumption. It was consuming a quart about 2500 miles too. It had also started smoking at start up after long drives on the interstate. I just sucked some water through the intake while revving it slightly. I took a water bottle and poked a small hole in the lid so it would spray a fine mist/stream in the intake while I had someone rev it. I did that around 150k miles.

I never knew this was one of the Avy's adventures. Cool stuff!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DMCO

Latest posts