What did you do to your NNBS GMT900 Tahoe/Yukon Today?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Took it apart.

First look as soon as I removed the head:

IMG_2701.JPG

The complete ring where just the carbon is knocked off shows that the valve was riding the piston for a little while. This must've been during that time when I was cruising, had just noticed it and was trying to determine if the odd vibes I was feeling were from the driveline or a loose wheel. It was the steady rhythmic pulse of a dead cylinder. Had I known, I would've shut it down that instant and all I would've needed was a new valve spring which would've been a 3 hour fix on the side of the road to get me back home with no damage at all. But, at some point, the valve and piston had a disagreement and while the piston was trying to buck the valve off it's head, it bítch slapped it sideways, leading to the hoof marks in the piston:

IMG_2702.JPG

Pulled a valve from a junk 706 head for comparison:

IMG_2707.JPG

The head looks fine. It looks like it did little more than just knocking the carbon off. I don't know how it survived, but the guide looks and feels fine, too:

IMG_2709.JPG

I buffed the carbon off the piston and smoothed the hoof marks to eliminate sharp edges that would lead to hot spots. The light reflecting makes them look more severe than they really are:

IMG_2716.JPG

I pulled the lifters from that cylinder and they look fine. Plan of action is to clean up and install that salvaged valve, replace all 16 springs, reassemble and send it.

Rocket Man

Mark
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Took it apart.

First look as soon as I removed the head:

View attachment 382966

The complete ring where just the carbon is knocked off shows that the valve was riding the piston for a little while. This must've been during that time when I was cruising, had just noticed it and was trying to determine if the odd vibes I was feeling were from the driveline or a loose wheel. It was the steady rhythmic pulse of a dead cylinder. Had I known, I would've shut it down that instant and all I would've needed was a new valve spring which would've been a 3 hour fix on the side of the road to get me back home with no damage at all. But, at some point, the valve and piston had a disagreement and while the piston was trying to buck the valve off it's head, it bítch slapped it sideways, leading to the hoof marks in the piston:

View attachment 382967

Pulled a valve from a junk 706 head for comparison:

View attachment 382968

The head looks fine. It looks like it did little more than just knocking the carbon off. I don't know how it survived, but the guide looks and feels fine, too:

View attachment 382969

I buffed the carbon off the piston and smoothed the hoof marks to eliminate sharp edges that would lead to hot spots. The light reflecting makes them look more severe than they really are:

View attachment 382970

I pulled the lifters from that cylinder and they look fine. Plan of action is to clean up and install that salvaged valve, replace all 16 springs, reassemble and send it.
Looks like you got real lucky.:)

Geotrash

Dave
Supporting Member
Reaction score
All this talk about broken valve springs had me thinking that I should replace the ones in my 2007 6.2 as I understand they had some bad ones that got into those years. But it seems that my engine may be considerably newer than the truck itself. A couple of years ago I pulled the drivers side valve cover to upgrade it to the newer version and found that it had already been done. The existing cover also had a date code of October, 2013. So today I though I'd look around for a few more date codes on other parts, and found one that said 10/30/13 on the front of the valley cover. Do any of y'all know if there are any other easily visible date codes I could check? Like maybe on the engine block itself?

1665949168594.png

Rocket Man

Mark
Supporting Member
Reaction score
All this talk about broken valve springs had me thinking that I should replace the ones in my 2007 6.2 as I understand they had some bad ones that got into those years. But it seems that my engine may be considerably newer than the truck itself. A couple of years ago I pulled the drivers side valve cover to upgrade it to the newer version and found that it had already been done. The existing cover also had a date code of October, 2013. So today I though I'd look around for a few more date codes on other parts, and found one that said 10/30/13 on the front of the valley cover. Do any of y'all know if there are any other easily visible date codes I could check? Like maybe on the engine block itself?

View attachment 383026
You don’t have the history on your truck?

Geotrash

Dave
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You don’t have the history on your truck?
Nope. I bought it used in 2018 with no records, from a local dealer in Colorado. All I knew is that it was an Arizona car and looked like it just rolled out of the showroom it was so clean. I do have the Carfax maintenance history which shows frequent routine maintenance, but lots of shops don't upload to Carfax so if it was a small shop who did the work, it may not show up on the report.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DwaneM