What did you do to your NNBS GMT900 Tahoe/Yukon Today?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Grady_Wilson

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I grew up diving sports cars with zero rear visibility long before back up cams and sensors. I found doing a quick walk back and look at the area your going to back out or into of makes all the difference. gives a quick reference of what you gotta avoid.

at work they force us to wheel chock the rear passanger tire everytime you get out of anything. forces you do a walk around. Supposed to always have a guide person anytime backing up too, but unless it's something with zero visibility, no one really does it. even thou it's your job if you run into the wrong thing and video shows you didn't find a guide person.
I back in to park when I can.
I even back into my driveway at home.
When I worked highway construction / maintenance, a backing accident was your fault 99% of the time so I was taught to really pay attention to your surroundings and never backup unless you absolutely have to.
The rule of thumb was - Backup to park but don't park to backup.
But, with the way most street parking spots are around here, they are mostly angled so you have to pull in forward and then back out into traffic while parked next to another large vehicle so visibility is very limited and cross traffic can appear at any time.

Sparksalot

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I back in to park when I can.
I even back into my driveway at home.
When I worked highway construction / maintenance, a backing accident was your fault 99% of the time so I was taught to really pay attention to your surroundings and never backup unless you absolutely have to.
The rule of thumb was - Backup to park but don't park to backup.
But, with the way most street parking spots are around here, they are mostly angled so you have to pull in forward and then back out into traffic while parked next to another large vehicle so visibility is very limited and cross traffic can appear at any time.
Austin as a city is pretty much FUBAR. One of the positive things the city has done is make angled parking back in on busy streets. Makes leaving so much safer.

coluccim

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Hello everyone, I am a new member. This place is an amazing resource.

I just came home with a Silver 2011 Tahoe LT 4wd yesterday. Today the first project was installing an Android based stereo head unit.

I have my doubts on these things in general but I went ahead and ordered from Amazon. Things weren’t perfect, but after a bit of googling and changes made to the backend software, it seems to be working great. Let me know if anyone has questions.
Unfortunately, I will be uninstalling and returning the head unit. It is a shame because it does so many things correct but fails on 2 basic things.

1. Using the "voice" button on the stereo does not launch Siri. You either have to yell "Hey Siri" or hold the button on the screen. The voice button does launch a call, so this is just bad programming. I tried long press and double press - it just does not work.

2. Siri or Google assistant volume is woefully low compare to music played while using Carplay. You constantly have to adjust the volume. Normally, adjusting the volume while Siri speaks or Google maps makes an announcement changes the volume independently. That is not the case here.

I reached out to support and was told that this was the normal function of the volume control and that launching Siri with the steering wheel controls is "vehicle dependent" - I don't believe the last part is true.

Geotrash

Dave
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Unfortunately, I will be uninstalling and returning the head unit. It is a shame because it does so many things correct but fails on 2 basic things.

1. Using the "voice" button on the stereo does not launch Siri. You either have to yell "Hey Siri" or hold the button on the screen. The voice button does launch a call, so this is just bad programming. I tried long press and double press - it just does not work.

2. Siri or Google assistant volume is woefully low compare to music played while using Carplay. You constantly have to adjust the volume. Normally, adjusting the volume while Siri speaks or Google maps makes an announcement changes the volume independently. That is not the case here.

I reached out to support and was told that this was the normal function of the volume control and that launching Siri with the steering wheel controls is "vehicle dependent" - I don't believe the last part is true.
I have an older Android head unit in my '07 and they're right about it being vehicle dependent for the button because mine doesn't conjure Siri either. But it responds fine when I say hey Siri loud enough, so that's been fine for me.

j91z28d1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm surprised you can't map the steering wheel controls to any button you want. last time I put a aftermarket radio in you had to walk thru the steering wheel settings.

been a few years thou.

mikez71

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I say minor since it's just old age too and mostly used to it. nothing I'd get surgery to fix. Trampoline injury as a little kid. life time of arthritis, BMX crashes and bad posture catching up to me. being tall doesn't help much either lol.

some pics.. I'd say it's a touch better it not a huge difference. the original is much thicker. so it feels about like this adjustable one forward, and then back gives you a touch more room even thou the angle is about the same. Just less padding.

stock
View attachment 439365

back
View attachment 439364
Got my 3 position headrest in today!

Unfortunately they're not in great shape, not taking pics yet.
Hoping the foam expands back after a couple days. Been shrink wrapped together so there's rail indentations and wrinkles..
Button surround is cracked on one too..

But the reduced angle is exactly what I needed, so I love em even with the flaws.

When the headrest is all the way down and back, the gap between headreast and seat is more noticeable.

The notches on the rail have some weird double ramp that doesn't lock in place quite like the original..

Much happier with the position of these...

j91z28d1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Got my 3 position headrest in today!

Unfortunately they're not in great shape, not taking pics yet.
Hoping the foam expands back after a couple days. Been shrink wrapped together so there's rail indentations and wrinkles..
Button surround is cracked on one too..

But the reduced angle is exactly what I needed, so I love em even with the flaws.

When the headrest is all the way down and back, the gap between headreast and seat is more noticeable.

The notches on the rail have some weird double ramp that doesn't lock in place quite like the original..

Much happier with the position of these...

that's good. after driving a while with it, I will say it feels a little further back then I thought at first test. I need to clean mine up, but I think it looks OK. the truck isn't mint forsure. what color is yours?

I still want to open one up and see it maybe the bars can be straighten or something.

I'll probably leave mine on too.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kirk morgan