What did you do to your OBS GMT400 Tahoe/Yukon Today?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BirchyBoy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
1300 miles with 3000 NY to OK truck pulled like a champ. Never broke the 160 mark, no wobble from the trailer, with the newer helper springs from a 3500 my suspension had no sag at all. Also installed my new tailgate from a suburban to fix my window matching issues

Helper springs from a 3500? Details, details! I'm hauling my 5k camper quite a bit and the back end needs a little lift. I'm torn between adding helper springs or air bags.

SunlitComet

OBS Jedi-Do Good
Reaction score
Helper springs from a 3500? Details, details! I'm hauling my 5k camper quite a bit and the back end needs a little lift. I'm torn between adding helper springs or air bags.

regardless you must have a weight distributing hitch setup if you want it to be safe to drive.

---------- Post added at 08:30 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:29 PM ----------

use firestone ride-rite bags. $300 or less.

---------- Post added at 08:30 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:30 PM ----------

1300 miles with 3000 NY to OK truck pulled like a champ. Never broke the 160 mark, no wobble from the trailer, with the newer helper springs from a 3500 my suspension had no sag at all. Also installed my new tailgate from a suburban to fix my window matching issues

160 mark?

---------- Post added at 08:32 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:30 PM ----------

is still sitting in the hospital parking lot since i am still here.

Last edited:

BirchyBoy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
regardless you must have a weight distributing hitch setup if you want it to be safe to drive.

---------- Post added at 08:30 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:29 PM ----------

use firestone ride-rite bags. $300 or less.

I've got an Equalizer 4pt w/d hitch with sway control. The trailer pulls as good as it can, but I'd like to get the back end up a bit more. I had purchased a full Bag setup with of board compressor and equalizing valve but returned it at the suggestion of the RV dealer.

Might get the bags again, but if springs are cheaper and as effective I might go that route.

SunlitComet

OBS Jedi-Do Good
Reaction score
bag are adjustable. springs are not. not sure which set you had before but the firestones are great. install the auto level kit and you can't go wrong. easy to customize how they work.

Y2KpewterZ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Threw some Nitto Terra Grapplers i picked up of craigslist. Little more agressive then the oem spec Goodyear LS-2s..

RAWVORTEC

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Cleaned and polished it. Painted grill black. I need a primed bumper offline and get it painted black also. Anyone know of someone who sells primed rear bumpers?

jerryjoe28

That Guy
Reaction score
Cleaned and polished it. Painted grill black. I need a primed bumper offline and get it painted black also. Anyone know of someone who sells primed rear bumpers?

discount body parts ( has a eBay store under that name) I didn't get my bumper from them but now that ive dealt with them I wish I had. AMAZING customer service!

chaingun427

OBS Mad Scientist
Reaction score
I had a broken leaf a while back and my truck wouldn't pass inspection, so I picked up a used set of springs from a friend who was scrapping a long bed 95 3500 for 50 bucks, I took all but the main and 2nd springs from thr 3500 and bolted them under my main leaf, the final helper spring is literally twice as thick as the stock one on the tahoe. The ride isn't any rougher, but I've got no sag at all with a load on. When you do something like this it is necessary to replace the centering pin, u bolts, and shackles at the end of the springs that keep the springs from twisting about. I also recommend replacing the plastic pads that go in between each leaf on the end to curb squeaking and to keep the end of the springs from digging into each other. Ill post a pic of the springs in a minute

newbie78

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I changed the rear diff fluid because i wasn't sure if the previous owner did. There was quite a bit of metal sludge on the magnet but no chunks of metal. Hopefully i delayed the need for a rebuild or new rear for at least 3+ years.

I also tried to remove the 2 broken exhaust studs that i broke trying to change the exhaust donuts. I got new nuts and threaded them on the studs and used JB Weld on them. Hopefully on Sunday I will be able to get the studs out. I sprayed PB blast on them the other night and I will again tomorrow night. I'm letting the JB Weld cure for almost 2 days. I think it should work wish me luck!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dhrusso925