What is this leaking?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
What is this leaking from the rear of my 1996 Chevy Tahoe? Thanks for the help. View attachment 440685
rear differential cover
probably best to get a new cover and a gasket, + pick up the new gear oil you will need, should take around 2.7 quart something around there, you just fill until it comes out the fill hole.
total parts cost should be more than $150 or so
easy job

OP
OP
S

ScottLady

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
rear differential cover
probably best to get a new cover and a gasket, + pick up the new gear oil you will need, should take around 2.7 quart something around there, you just fill until it comes out the fill hole.
total parts cost should be more than $150 or so
easy job
Thank you, is that the approximate cost of doing it myself?

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thank you, is that the approximate cost of doing it myself?
Yes pretty much, any auto parts store should have a new aftermarket cover for around $30-35 that may or may not include a gasket. and the rest is just the gear oil.
you will want a bucket or something to catch the oil when you remove the bolts and open it, then clean it up real good before you put the new cover on. I say to get a new cover because for one rust, and for two they can get bent easily from just tightening the bolts and then leak again. so it's best to use a new cover there not expensive.
not sure on the torque specs for the bolts shouldn't take much just snug them up a little if you over tighten then it can bend it. maybe use some rtv sealant, some gaskets are rubber now so may not need it.

Joseph Garcia

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Welcome to the Forum from NH.

Lots of knowledgeable folks here who freely share their knowledge, experiences, and perspectives. Knowledge is power.

I hope that you will become a participating member in the Forum's discussions.

Pics of the truck, please.

You are already receiving sage advice from the knowledgeable folks on this Forum.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
21DenaliXL