What kind of PowerSlot rotors to buy?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

99Yuk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So, I've been getting ready to do my front brakes. I've been accumulating parts.

I have my Russel SS brake lines.
I have my 4L of ATE SuperBlue brake Fluid in anticipation of a complete flush.
I have picked out my front brake pads. Hawks Performance Ceramic part#HB296Z-670.

But I can't decide what rotors to buy.
From reading this forum, I'm leaning towards PowerSlot rotors, ok, but they have a couple of different kinds, and none are cross drilled and slotted, just slotted.

#1 - PSR-126-66025SR -REGULAR - ~$360 to buy two rotors, factor in shipping, then factor in currency conversion and border duties.

#2 - PSR-126-66025CSR - CYRO - ~$445 to buy two rotors, factor in shipping, then factor in currency conversion and border duties.

Or can I just buy;
#3 - SUM-DSEP-5575R - Summit Racing Special - cross drilled and slotted for ~$210 to buy two rotors, factor in shipping, then factor in currency conversion and border duties.

Or
#4 - Just the local autostore rotors that are cheap and nothing special. Solid vented rotors. ~$60 installed.

I am looking for maximum stopping power without breaking the bank. My wife's Jimmy, when I get into it, just about slam my head into the windshield after driving my truck. I want my truck to stop as good as the Jimmy. I know the Yukon is like double the weight of the Jimmy, but a guy can dream, can't he? The Old guy Mech and the aprentice, etc are all laughing at me because I want to spend over $600 on front brakes. They don't think that will make a difference. So I'm asking you guys.

Guys, what should I buy?

OP
OP
99Yuk

99Yuk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
SOMEONE must have purchased Power Slot rotors and have an opinion of them!
Hasn't any one else bought the CRYO rotors? What did you think of them?

bueller.....
anyone....
anyone....

steamroller

Full Access Member
Reaction score

bass1775

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What are the 3/4 ton calipers off of? What truck did they come off of? Will they fit on the 4WD model.

OP
OP
99Yuk

99Yuk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Quality stock replacement rotors would be what I would run. If you wanna spend a little more money RockAuto has some some AC Delco Durastop rotors, they are slotted and are $73 each

http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/moreinfo.php?pk=108920
http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/moreinfo.php?pk=108919

3/4 ton brake calipers are an easy mod as well, they bolt up the same but the piston is bigger, you just have to be sure and use the 1/2 ton brake pads with them.

So your not buying into the Power Slot hype eh? Ok, neither are the guys in our shop. Thanks for the links to AC Delco.

I can buy these ATE premium rotors for cheap at the local partssource.

Just to be clear, your asking us to use 3/4ton calipers with 1/2ton pads? wouldn't you want to use 3/4ton pads? Not trying to be rude, I don't know, just asking.

So can I buy 3/4ton 4wd 1998 obs pickup calipers and will they just bolt up?
Again, IDK, so I'm asking.

Thanks!

steamroller

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What are the 3/4 ton calipers off of? What truck did they come off of? Will they fit on the 4WD model.
96-2000 OBS K2500, GVW 8600 trucks, I had to use the 96-98 OBS 1/2 ton K1500 pads or the pads hit the hat of the rotor

So your not buying into the Power Slot hype eh? Ok, neither are the guys in our shop. Thanks for the links to AC Delco.

I can buy these ATE premium rotors for cheap at the local partssource.

Just to be clear, your asking us to use 3/4ton calipers with 1/2ton pads? wouldn't you want to use 3/4ton pads? Not trying to be rude, I don't know, just asking.

So can I buy 3/4ton 4wd 1998 obs pickup calipers and will they just bolt up?
Again, IDK, so I'm asking.

Thanks!

I just don't see the cost for the Powerslots being worth it, I have never run them personally though. The 3/4 ton brake backing pads are shaped different but the pad dimensions are nearly the same, pics below. I know it doesn't make sense that the pistons are bigger and the pads are clipped/located inside the piston, but I didn't run into any problems

3/4 ton pads 8600 GVW
getimage.php

1/2 ton pads
getimage.php

im pretty sure 3/4ton only work with 2wd not 4wd

:think: Mine is a 4 dr 4WD and they fit, maybe mine is some sort of factory freak or something

I can't make any guarantees that they will work on anything else, so you guys order parts at your own risk I just asked for calipers from a 98 3/4 ton truck, pads for a 98 1/2 ton truck, and stock replacement rotors for my 96 tahoe, and yes the parts guys looked at me like I was crazy lol. I actually compared the new vs old calipers and the difference was obvious so I don't believe they gave the wrong parts

OP
OP
99Yuk

99Yuk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Cool! Thanks for the info! I asked the apprentice about the bigger calliper. His first thought was WTF? Then his second thought was ok, but won't the brake pedal be lower due to the increased fluid amount in the bigger pistons?

He was worried that I might need the 3/4ton master cylinder, and he was worried about the pedal travel going lower to the floor.

So, are those things anything to worry about?

Thanks!

If this works, then I'm going to go with Hawks pads, upgraded calliper, and ATE premium rotors, and the blue racing brake fluid flush.

BTW, the aprentice asked me today if I wanted the rear shoe mod done as well? What is that? I'll have to ask him what that is. I ran out of time this morning.

steamroller

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Cool! Thanks for the info! I asked the apprentice about the bigger calliper. His first thought was WTF? Then his second thought was ok, but won't the brake pedal be lower due to the increased fluid amount in the bigger pistons?

He was worried that I might need the 3/4ton master cylinder, and he was worried about the pedal travel going lower to the floor.

So, are those things anything to worry about?

Thanks!

BTW, the aprentice asked me today if I wanted the rear shoe mod done as well? What is that? I'll have to ask him what that is. I ran out of time this morning.

No problem, I hadn't thought about the pedal travel but that makes sense. The 4wd 4 doors got the bigger 11'' rear brakes so the master cylinders are probably different, I didn't change mine and didn't notice any difference as far as pedal travel goes. The actual piston diameter is only 7/32" bigger but every little bit helps

I've got so many different parts from different year trucks and SUV's it's a pain in the ass going to the parts stores. I usually go to their website beforehand and have the part # when I go in, otherewise they give me the ''it won't fit'' crap. It's wound up being like the Johnny Cash song 1 Piece At a Time LOL

I've never heard of the rear shoe mod? I'm interested in what that may be, so if you find out what he means let us know.

Last edited:

97GT

Reaction score
I just ordered som dimpled sloted rotars and and semi-metalic pads from www.brakeperformance.com
I spent $245.67 after shipping and taxes. They have a lifetime warranty so if it warps or cracks i get new ones for free. It should give some better stopping power without having to upgrade the calipers. I will let ya know how they perform, I get them tomorrow

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Helmetgurus