What oil and plugs in your Hoe?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ypsetihw

Full Access Member
Reaction score
title says it all - have to do an oil change on our 01 Tahoe . . . and I'm guessing it needs plugs because my GF has no idea when they were done.

several questions:
what oil filters due you use? are there oversized filters approved? anyone have a stock part number for a k&n oil filter replacement on these trucks?

what oil do you use? I'm a fan of full syn but not sure if these stone-age engines need different weight than my jetta - maybe 0w-40? or something thicker to smooth out the lifters?

what spark plugs do you use? it seems like everyone uses these crazy 100k mile platinums, but I usually prefer copper core for better spark - even if they need replaced every 20k . . . what plugs (and part number) do you use and what is the recommended gap?

:beer:

amaz

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'd definetly go with AC Delco platinum spark plugs. Seen so many times how Bosch/NGK/etc. plugs just don't work with these trucks (misfire, hesitation, bad running)

I've been using full syn 0W40 until yesterday. I was amazed, because with mobil esp 5W30 that ticking noice from left bank was gone (I assume lifter made that noise).

hassoun

Full Access Member
Reaction score
haha easy there bud.. i use Royal purple 5W30 and i have ticking noise from time to time. thats why im wondering. i highly doubt Mobil is better than RP but who knows

Sasquatch

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Royal purple 5W 30
WIX/ Napa gold filter
Only 39k on the odometer but i`ll stick with AC for the plugs when i change them.

Eagle

Thansk for all the help -STAFF!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'd definetly go with AC Delco platinum spark plugs. Seen so many times how Bosch/NGK/etc. plugs just don't work with these trucks (misfire, hesitation, bad running)

I've been using full syn 0W40 until yesterday. I was amazed, because with mobil esp 5W30 that ticking noice from left bank was gone (I assume lifter made that noise).

the A/C Delcos ARE ngk plugs :) I'll try to do mine tommorrow.

i use supertech (penzoil) 5w-30 synthetic.
The ac delco filters seem to be made by the same folks that make the supertech filters, so i just saved the buck this time.

no ticky... after it warmed up for a minute (winter) or now that it is over 50 degrees out. it probably had dino oil in it when i bought it so i expect the lifters got cleaned up over the last 4k ish miles.

It will get an early oil change in two weeks before i leave on my trip (est. 3500 miles in 2 weeks) the engine should be nice and clean internally.

Last edited:

Dynamo

Reaction score
For my '03 Tahoe LT (5.3)...

oil filter: ACDelco PF46 (got a PF46E for the next oil change though)
oil: Mobil Clean 5000 dino oil (no ticking)
spark plugs: ACDelco OEM replacements (platinum or whatever they were)

Still runs great. :) FWIW it's my personal belief that all of this worry over what brand, type, etc of maintenance products is much ado about nothing and that regular consistent maintenance using whatever brand is the key to longevity. I've never had an engine that blew up because I used cheap oil and a Fram filter, but YMMV. :)

gcletsos

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Mobil1 5w-30 High mileage
Purolator Filter
I previously used conventional oil. Engine temp dropped about 10 degrees and oil pressure increased about 5 psi

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MRBJU52

Latest posts