What oil do you think........?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Stresst

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have a 00 Escalade with 120K on the clock, what oil do you think is best. In the past I used whatever the mechanic had but now it seems no matter how often I change the oil its dirty.

Anyway, at startup unless the oil is less then 2 weeks old my lifters make noise for about 5 seconds. What oil should I use? An additive, which one?

Can I flush the motor? How? Thanks in advance for the help.

IRQVET

2 Door Owners Club
Reaction score
There are tons on repeat threads similar to this subject; however, if your anything like me you don't have the time or the patience to check so I will indulge your question. . .

Try switching to a full synthetic.

I used 5W/30 Mobile 1 full synthetic w/ Lucus oil additives. I know many here swear by Mobile 1, as do I, but that is just us. I have heard good things about Royal Purple if you'd like remain using non-synthetic.

TahoeJim

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Many have some noise at initial start up when cold....not necessarily lifters, these engines can get a bit of piston slap in them.

To flush it out, use Sea Foam added to the oil about 100 miles before you're going to change it......dump it in and put those miles on all at once or with 2 trips at most, if possible. It works very well.

ScottyBoy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Amsoil FTMFW!!! Go check out www.syntheticadvantage.com I just started getting my oil from there. Nick is a great guy to deal with and can answer any questions you may have about switching over to Amsoil. I got enough oil and filters to change the oil in my truck and my wifes car. I also got a bottle of the performance additive, which I've tried before and the stuff is AWESOME!! It helps with with throttle response and fuel mileage.
They also claim you can go 25k miles on that oil if you use an Amsoil filter! Even if considered "severe duty" they say you can go up to 15k miles. I'm gonna run mine to 15k miles then send off a sample of the used oil for a used oil analisys. If you get an analisys done and it says everything is fine with the used oil, you can probably go even further on your next oil.

DSC02511.jpg

Last edited:

KrautBurner

Full Access Member
Reaction score
seafoam that thing,

intake and engine oil

run it for a while (full engine temp cycle at least two times)

then switch to full syn
I like Rotella T full syn 5w40
(amsoil is great, but can be hard to find, rotella can be had at any walmart)
I switched my 01 Tahoe at 85,000 miles (and change every 5K)
just under 100K now, no oil usage, quieter engine than when i picked her up

synth_cj4.jpg

OP
OP
S

Stresst

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the reply's.

Have any of you ever flushed yout motor with good success? Ive heard oil passages, oil pumps can become clogged. What do you think?

ScottyBoy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the reply's.

Have any of you ever flushed yout motor with good success? Ive heard oil passages, oil pumps can become clogged. What do you think?

It depends of how much sludge/builup has accumulated in your engine. If you have a lot of sludge buildup, chunk can break free and clog up the oil pump and oil passages. I had a friend who did that on an old Buick regal he bought. He ended up having to drop the oil pan and replace the oil pump pickup screen. It worked out though, because his oil pan gasket was leaking so he had to pull the pan to replace it anyway.
So I guess if you know the history of your engine and know its been maintained fairly well then you shouldn have no problems flushing. If you have no clue about the engine and if the oil was changed regularly from day one, then either don't flush it at all or else don't flush it for very long .

IRQVET

2 Door Owners Club
Reaction score

I have friends who swear by Rotell-T, although I don't personally have any experience with it. I know many people I know who race motorcycles use Rotell-T and Purple Rain and its suppose to be good stuff.

However, I've known people who run AMSOIL and that stuff does not hold up as advertised. A guy sold my father on AMSOL making the claim he could go some ungawdly amount of mileage between oil changes. End result, my dad blew the motor on his Mustang because the AMSOIL didn't hold up for *****.

OP
OP
S

Stresst

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I decided to go with Mobil 1 SUV with Mobil 1 filter and Qt Lucas oil stop leak. Lets see how it looks in a few weeks. Thanks for the help!

97loudho

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
glad this post was up might have to switch over to a full synthetic myself

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rnfernandez1968