Which flavor of “LS” do I have after replacement

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Daan1998

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
So after a lot of searching online, my truck (08 Yukon XL) should have been built with an LC9 engine according to the VIN. However the long block was replaced by a Chevy dealership 5 years ago (I have receipts for everything) My question is, would they have used another LC9, or is there a “generic LS crate engine” they would use? A guy I know buys rusty older trucks here to do LS swaps and was asking me which motor my truck has.

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So after a lot of searching online, my truck (08 Yukon XL) should have been built with an LC9 engine according to the VIN. However the long block was replaced by a Chevy dealership 5 years ago (I have receipts for everything) My question is, would they have used another LC9, or is there a “generic LS crate engine” they would use? A guy I know buys rusty older trucks here to do LS swaps and was asking me which motor my truck has.
you stated....(I have receipts for everything) that should answer your queastion right there. the Receipt should state exactly what motor was put in.
OTHERWISE you would need to reach out to the dealer and if they are using the dealer software that was hijacked a couple weeks ago they won't be ablke to tell you anything until the software is restored.
there "might" be a marking on the block indicating the model, but I am not sure where that is located I have seen it on mine I just don't recall where, probably on the side of the block somewhere

OP
OP
D

Daan1998

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
you stated....(I have receipts for everything) that should answer your queastion right there. the Receipt should state exactly what motor was put in.
OTHERWISE you would need to reach out to the dealer and if they are using the dealer software that was hijacked a couple weeks ago they won't be ablke to tell you anything until the software is restored.
there "might" be a marking on the block indicating the model, but I am not sure where that is located I have seen it on mine I just don't recall where, probably on the side of the block somewhere
My paperwork just says “Goodwrench replacement long block” it doesn’t have an engine code or anything.

strutaeng

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I would just say take a look at the block, if it's an aluminum block, then just say it's got that engine.

The aluminum blocks were not made as many numbers, and command a premium for swaps nowadays. Wether it was the flattop pistons or the other version, I wouldn't think it would matter at this point: You have an aluminum 5.3.

Look here: https://www.onallcylinders.com/2018...ormance-bore-stroke-cylinder-heads-cam-specs/

If you have an iron block, then...well check first.

Last edited:

Marky Dissod

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So after a lot of searching online, my truck (08 Yukon XL) should have been built with an LC9 according to the VIN.
However the long block was replaced by a Chevy dealership 5 years ago (I have receipts for everything).
My question is, would they have used another LC9, or is there a “generic LS crate engine” they would use?
A guy I know buys rusty older trucks here to do LS swaps and was asking me which motor my truck has.
If your dealership was cool / awesome enough to have upgraded your 5.3L in any meaningful way,
[EDIT]
they'd've bragged about it, you'd've known all about it, you'd've paid more for it,
and most importantly, you'd not be asking what engine you have -
you'd be bragging about getting an engine upgrade from the dealership.

Last edited:

redhat9

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
An 08 LC9 would’ve been a 9.9 CR aluminum 5.3 achieved by flat top pistons and LS6 heads (799/243).

As I’d not expect the dealer to install any run of the mill reman engine and flash a different calibration from that of which the VIN calls for, I would only expect them to have put a reman LC9 in.

Three things to look for. Aluminum block, pull a spark plug and look in the cylinder for flat top pistons and look for 243/799 casting marks on the heads. If all three add up then you’ve got a LC9 for all intents and purposes.

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My paperwork just says “Goodwrench replacement long block” it doesn’t have an engine code or anything.
this might help

OP
OP
D

Daan1998

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I could add that the truck has 320k total, according to the car fax I’m the 5th owner and the first owner was Hertz, so this was a rental vehicle originally. It’s pulled my camper trailer the whole time I’ve had it, toted my 4 kids everywhere and done my 80+ mile daily commute with no problems. The truck itself is getting tired (stupid Wisconsin road salt) but after hearing about all the issues people seem to be having with new trucks (and the fact they cost as much as my house did) I really don’t want to replace this truck any sooner than I have to…

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LilithMoon