Why are 5.3 dogs?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

bottomline2000

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I wonder if BB would know the %'s

My 5.3 was a dog before the tune and wouldn't get out of its own way. I test drove a 2 dr OBS Tahoe before buying my HOE and the 5.7 felt a LOT faster than mine stock. Also drove a 96 Ext cab Silverado new and no way that thing had TM. It would light the tires at will, but was a much lighter truck.

Keep in mind NBS have engine TM and Trans TM and can be adjusted independently.

TM had to start with the NBS and .8 in a 1/4 mile is huge lol. It will get you kicked off PINKS..

Last edited:

Physh1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Really? They musta really amped up the TM in the newer rides then. Was the TM a standard setup starting in 96?? :think:
Yes, they have TM but it's not as invasive as it is on our NBS & NNBS trucks...

02tahoeindiana

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Never quite heard of the 5.3 being a dog either...had a 99 5.7 before this one and the 5.3 is quite a bit quicker, it may have slightly less torque seat of the pants, but i can smoke hemi's 9times out of 10 hah, also you have to factor in that every car you get in feels different, my mustang feels like your going 80 when your going 55 but a Mercedes AMG feels like your going 20 when your going 55, same thing with acceleration, some cars just FEEL faster, less refined vehicles usually

Donnie Yukonie

Yates Caretaker
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I raced a complete stock nbs. A couple months ago in my stock obs and he didn't beat me by much off the line I pulled him but as we neared 40 or so he started to slightly pull me now my truck is 4wd his was 2wd so he was lighter and pretty sure geared diffrently
After I buried the speeding he was s'not a car length and a half ahead
Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

02tahoeindiana

Full Access Member
Reaction score
For some reason i thought 2wds had 3.27 or 3.42 gears instead of 3.73...but i cant be sure

blueflamed03

Supporting Member
Reaction score
LS>Vortec

LS motors are way better than the counterparts they replaced. Nothing 'wrong' with the traditional 5.7, just the LS changed everything.
I'd take a new 5.3 over a new roller 5.7 anyday for power, performance and gas mileage.

Sidepipes

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Possibly depends on the individual car's setup. I tried a 2004 Yukon from a dealer's lot, and it was a dog. Then, same day, I found a 5.3 4WD that was much stronger, and I bought it. Very happy (after three months) so far.

Oshkosh

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I am sure gear ratios and previous maintenance have allot to do with how a particular rig feels, defiantly gear ratios,tire size etc all effect things(launch,top end).. I mean if one had a cat that wasn't up to par ,dirty maf ,tb,crappy fuel etc would slow it down a huge amount ,stuff like that would come into play for sure.
My 5.3 seems very healthy considering it is launching a loaded XL. Likes to break loose even with 75% 265/75/16 Michelins... :)

blueflamed03

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Possibly depends on the individual car's setup. I tried a 2004 Yukon from a dealer's lot, and it was a dog. Then, same day, I found a 5.3 4WD that was much stronger, and I bought it. Very happy (after three months) so far.

2wd may have had 3.23's or 3.42's, I think most 4x4 had 3.73.

DarylinB

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I have an 03 Yukon and was told by my mechanic that the intake manifold was leaking causing it to lose power. It's fine around town but when I hook up my trailer (2800#) it really drops off the power. Anyone else have this problem? Pulling the trailer I'm getting 9-10 mpg. I bought it because I was told these trucks would pull a house down. ???????????????

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tahoe guy