Why does my sound system suck?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Denali0229

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have an 07 Tahoe. I posted someting about my box on here a few weeks ago when I had it done.

I know the guy that did it and he gave me a great deal. A box like that might cost you $400 or $500 but if you are in good with a shop, maybe more like $300.

I love the sound, its a full surround sound and I love those Boston Acoustics componets up front. They are 100 times better than the Bose that come with the truck. Like I said, I'm not all about bass, which is why I went with a good SQ sub. It can have some thump on songs that have it but I dont really listen to rap that much. Its more than I need and I never turn the volume up over half way.

$400-500 isn't bad at all. I paid $300 for a custom box with black carpet but there was a lot that went into it instead of just making and box and tuning it. It was matched to the resonance of my truck and to my sub and amp so acoustically, it sounds great. But your box has what looks like fiberglass. That was probably the hardest part since its sealed so no tuning. Appreciate the info.

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk 2

metalemt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It's because they're stock components, the Bose system is setup for long term use not superior sound quality, I know my Boston acoustics system that was stock in my Camaro was garbage as well.

Vince6322

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
nice sub box

[Hey, love the custom box, how does it sound? Do you know the internal volume? I
Need. 6

HeyQUOTE=LTLux;502289]You have to go after-market if you want good sound. What does that mean, it means a new head unit, sub, components for the front doors and new 6 1/2 for the back doors. It also means a amp for the door speakers and and amp for a new sub.

There are all kinds of directions you can go and brands you can choose from but in the end if you want better sound, you have to pay for it.

I'm not much of a bass guy but do like quality sound and enjoy my music, so I wanted to upgrade my system and did so with:

Kenwood headunit
10" Image Dynamics sub
Boston Acqustics components for front
Boston Acustics for rear doors
Rockford Fosgate Mono Amp for Sub
Alpine 4 channel for door speakers

I also had a custon box built for more of a factory look![/QUOTE]

My07hoe

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
LTlux that's a sick sub setup. What did you use to make the custom grille cover with the chevy logo? How did you attach it?

MACHO

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I always thought Bose had a good reputation for quality. But after listening to what comes out of the speakers in my Tahoe, I now associate "Bose" with cheapness and poor quality. Oh well, another reputation bites the dust. :thumbsdown:
My 2011 Tahoe stereo is atrocious also. However I have a Bose in my Nissan and it pounds! I guarantee GM asked Bose to build a system at a certain price point, leveraging their purchasing power, and Bose sluted out some "economy" stereo components to GM that they badged "Bose". IMO, Our stereos do not represent the real Bose quality that is their brand standard. Still a poor move by Bose...but I'm sure they got paid!! :D

OP, Don't know if its been mentioned.. but quite a few members have seen good improvements using Dynamat or like products on the doors.

Goodinblack

I Like Tacos
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I agree with MACHO......

Bose was told to suck...They hardly ever do though.

Dynamat works wonders.....I have it installed.

From my Walkie Talkie

chevyboy23

JUST QUE DOGGING!!!!
Reaction score
My bose sucked before I had my pioneer 4400 installed. With the Gmos LAN 02 I used...it allowed to turn gain up on the stereo like you would do an amplifier. It made it sound 100% better.....I'm satisfied.