Window Tint...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

njracer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've heard that tinting the sunroof glass can result in it cracking... something about the glass not being able to handle the extra heat which results from tint being applied.

I've heard that also. I would take that off just to be safe.

I'd take it off. Window film can cause the glass to get so hot it will break. I've known people to tint it, and it's been fine. But I've also seen a car that it did pop on.

Since you all got me worried, I called up the place that did my tint (they have multiple locations and have been in business since 1987). I spoke with the owner and he "claims" that he's never seen one crack in the 20+ years he's been tinting windows.

At this point, I'm going to keep my fingers crossed and hope nothing happens. I should know if I'm safe in a few days as we're expecting a heat wave in NJ for the next 3 to 5 days (mid to high 90's).

In addition, I always leave the sunroof in the vented position on hot days and all of the windows cracked (I have the weather tech window deflectors).

FWIW, I paid $125 for driver and passenger windows and $45 for the sunroof.

iwaslowr

ɹǝqɯǝɯ ɹoıuǝs
Reaction score
Please let us know how it turns out. I considered tinting the sunroof but chose not to when warned about possible cracking. I'd assume how dark the layer of tint applied could be a factor...

njracer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Please let us know how it turns out. I considered tinting the sunroof but chose not to when warned about possible cracking. I'd assume how dark the layer of tint applied could be a factor...

Will let you know if anything happens.

In addition, I really can't see it causing more heat then having the sunroof shut with the shade in the closed position (which is black).

BTW, I can possible see this being a problem in places like TX that get CrAzY hot during the summer months.

gilbo

Reaction score

u need a tint that reflects heat, such as ceramic tint (huper optik), i have it on my all my vehicles. and yes it make a difference in the amount of heat coming through

jdpber

GOLD MEMBER
Supporting Member
Reaction score
u need a tint that reflects heat, such as ceramic tint (huper optik), i have it on my all my vehicles. and yes it make a difference in the amount of heat coming through

and also costs more.. but it is so worth it.. i love mine..

noob

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have 20% wincos tint on my escalade, and the difference in heat is AMAZING. It literally lets almost ZERO heat through the windows. I like it so much, I plan to do 50% to the windshield.

Regency

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Had a cop follow me for like 2 miles today and he was pretty chill about everything.

fire730

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have 20% wincos tint on my escalade, and the difference in heat is AMAZING. It literally lets almost ZERO heat through the windows. I like it so much, I plan to do 50% to the windshield.

Where in New Orleans do they sell that tint? How much are they going to charge you for the windshield?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tahoe nate