Window trim

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

KMeloney

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What?! I wouldn't be drilling anything out of my truck for trim replacement.

What's the back of the new trim look like? It certainly doesn't look like that riveted piece needs to come out (unless you guys are suggesting that the trim was riveted in place from the inside of the body)...

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
What?! I wouldn't be drilling anything out of my truck for trim replacement.

What's the back of the new trim look like? It certainly doesn't look like that riveted piece needs to come out (unless you guys are suggesting that the trim was riveted in place from the inside of the body)...
factory rivet the only way to remove it is to drill it out and install a new rivet, otherwise if you try to pry it out it's going to damage the body and rip a big hole.
won't hurt anything to drill it just enough to break the rivet open.
and these rivets install with a tool from the front (one way/pop rivet), not from the backside, they work sort of like a drywall mount

KMeloney

Full Access Member
Reaction score
factory rivet the only way to remove it is to drill it out and install a new rivet, otherwise if you try to pry it out it's going to damage the body and rip a big hole.
won't hurt anything to drill it just enough to break the rivet open.
and these rivets install with a tool from the front (one way/pop rivet), not from the backside, they work sort of like a drywall mount
Got it. But did the OP break something taking that trim piece off which left a rivet behind? I just can’t imagine that that trim is riveted in place. Just seems crazy and un-GM-like. I would have bet it was 3M-taped in place (like everything on my ‘09 Tahoe).

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Got it. But did the OP break something taking that trim piece off which left a rivet behind? I just can’t imagine that that trim is riveted in place. Just seems crazy and un-GM-like. I would have bet it was 3M-taped in place (like everything on my ‘09 Tahoe).
LOL, well unless I am seeing things that looks like the trim piece is riveted on I guess GM got tired of replacing the ones that just fall off

KMeloney

Full Access Member
Reaction score
LOL, well unless I am seeing things that looks like the trim piece is riveted on I guess GM got tired of replacing the ones that just fall off
...But we're not looking at a TRIM piece that's riveted to the truck, right? Aren't we looking at what's probably a trim RETAINER PIECE that's riveted to the truck? Trim was clearly covering that piece. So, unless that piece was part of the trim, and the OP snapped it off the back of the trim, then I've got to believe that the new trim clips into that retainer.

I remember that on my '09, the tail lights had metal posts attached to them that pressed into plastic retainers (that pressed into openings in the sheet metal). When I removed my tail lights to replace them with aftermarket ones, the plastic retainers stayed securely in the body. The new tail lights came with those same plastic retainers already attached to the posts. After fretting for a second that I'd have to somehow pry the existing plastic retainers out of the truck in order to mount the new lights, I quickly realized that all I had to do was instead pull the new lights' ones off the posts, and push the posts into the existing retainers.

This LOOKS like a similar situation to me (but maybe we don't have all the information still).

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
...But we're not looking at a TRIM piece that's riveted to the truck, right? Aren't we looking at what's probably a trim RETAINER PIECE that's riveted to the truck? Trim was clearly covering that piece. So, unless that piece was part of the trim, and the OP snapped it off the back of the trim, then I've got to believe that the new trim clips into that retainer.

I remember that on my '09, the tail lights had metal posts attached to them that pressed into plastic retainers (that pressed into openings in the sheet metal). When I removed my tail lights to replace them with aftermarket ones, the plastic retainers stayed securely in the body. The new tail lights came with those same plastic retainers already attached to the posts. After fretting for a second that I'd have to somehow pry the existing plastic retainers out of the truck in order to mount the new lights, I quickly realized that all I had to do was instead pull the new lights' ones off the posts, and push the posts into the existing retainers.

This LOOKS like a similar situation to me (but maybe we don't have all the information still).
possibly but one would need to see the new trim piece to tell or not

CMoore711

Full Access Member
Reaction score
As previously mentioned those are for sure rivets and you will re-install the OEM black window trim with rivets also.

I had OEM Suburban RST window trim pieces installed on my old 2015 Yukon XL Denali and there were rivets used on the K2XX 2015-2020 GM SUV window trim.

Additionally, it's worth mentioning that replacing the window trim pieces also required me to replace the vertical black plastic appliques on the doors at the same time in order to properly remove and re-install the window trim. This may or may not be the case for the '21+ models?

OP
OP
blkonblk

blkonblk

Supporting Member
Reaction score
ok fam, was on vacation for a few weeks and came back last night. got up bright and early this morning and finished replacing everything. all the rivets had to be drilled and replaced

KMeloney

Full Access Member
Reaction score
ok fam, was on vacation for a few weeks and came back last night. got up bright and early this morning and finished replacing everything. all the rivets had to be drilled and replaced
That's insane. I still can't picture why.

But let's see some damn pics!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GourmetRealtor