Won't move in 2wd

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score

Foggy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just haven't gotten the motivation to put in my 9.5" rear end out
of a 2WD Yukon/Esky..... Yet...
Or just beef up my G80 - I already have all those parts too...
So many projects

OP
OP
H

HoeLuvr

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Nope, the brackets are different as the 2500s use leaf springs out back.

I'm one of two doing the swap currently. Some have already done it.
Not to worried about the rear axle. They make coil spring brackets that can be welded on. More concerned about the front. As in, mounting point locations being the same or not. Would love to see a write up on that! Pics?
I just haven't gotten the motivation to put in my 9.5" rear end out
of a 2WD Yukon/Esky..... Yet...
Or just beef up my G80 - I already have all those parts too...
So many projects
What parts do you have to beef up your G80?

Foggy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Not to worried about the rear axle. They make coil spring brackets that can be welded on. More concerned about the front. As in, mounting point locations being the same or not. Would love to see a write up on that! Pics?

It's a new posi carrier with the bearings etc that go with it to install
According to the info I have it's the G80 factory limited slip diff that is
the weak point and when it lets go it sends its shrapnel thru the diff taking
everything with it - kinda like the 6l80 torque converter clutch that's the weak
point with the transmission

OP
OP
H

HoeLuvr

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
It's a new posi carrier with the bearings etc that go with it to install
According to the info I have it's the G80 factory limited slip diff that is
the weak point and when it lets go it sends its shrapnel thru the diff taking
everything with it - kinda like the 6l80 torque converter clutch that's the weak
point with the transmission
Where did you get it? Is there a way to beef up my front diff without doing a 2500 swap?

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score

No pics, I always forget to take them and it's been slow going due to my health.

The 9.5" AXN axle from the GMT900 SUVs is nearly a direct bolt in in your generation. You may need a conversion joint or new yoke as they came with 1355 and yours may be 1344 or 1310, don't remember.

As far as the front axle goes, it's plenty beefy to handle the most arduous trails. Many of us went through the same thinking and concluded the swap was not worth it. There is a guy who makes the plates and brackets for a solid axle swap for Tahoe and GMT800s that might interest you.

Randy on here installed the 9.25 axle into his Denali and if memory serves he took pictures and did a write up on both the front and rear axle conversions. @randeez

The 9.5" G80 is also plenty strong but it's not made for burnouts. A limited slip carrier would be more suitable for that and lots of guys on here have them in their 8.6" axles and they are plenty strong and easily handle 500 horse motors.

OP
OP
H

HoeLuvr

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Ya, I'm not building a burnout machine. I do want something of a cross between a capable 4x4 and a prerunner. Something that can tackle some trails and occasionally take flight. I did pickup another pair of front and rear diff assemblies. Stock configuration GT4/G80. Might tear my originals apart and rebuild (if they are salvageable). At that time I would beef up.

Picked up another door, also. Hopefully, get everything installed this week.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beniskickbutt