Would you do it?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Yukon2000xl

Reaction score
I'm looking to buy a new OEM 5.3l engine from gm parts online for my 2000yukon xl.This truck is from Arizona and has 0 rust on it ,and I now rust treat it since I've had it.I have already rebuilt both diffs,transfer case, transmission and suspension/brakes.
Right now the engine runs fine but it has 227000 miles so it has done its job.All the used yukons and tahoes up here in Quebec Canada are rusty and or 45k + for used.A new one is just too much money to justify for a winter vehicle. I'm looking at about 10k for new engine,intake,injectors and all the small stuff I'll need.....worth it?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

95escahoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What's wrong with the engine that it needs replacement? If it's well maintained it should last beyond that

#1taho

5150TAHO
Reaction score
10k no not worth it. And you don't have to replace everything new like intake etc. I would rebuild the motor and keep all the old stuff on it. They don't go ofton enough to warrant changing.

OP
OP
Y

Yukon2000xl

Reaction score
What's wrong with the engine that it needs replacement? If it's well maintained it should last beyond that

It takes a bit of coolant but frankly it just can't be driven far in my opinion because of its age.Id always be worried about when it will go.Also over time the oil pressure takes a few seconds to move until I change the oil filter then it's good for awhile.....worries me

1999hoe

aka HOVERHOE
Reaction score
Ide vote full rebuild and replace any that concerns you still cheaper than 10k however if you got it and dont mind spending the cash then go nuts peace of mind is a valuable thing

95escahoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It takes a bit of coolant but frankly it just can't be driven far in my opinion because of its age.Id always be worried about when it will go.Also over time the oil pressure takes a few seconds to move until I change the oil filter then it's good for awhile.....worries me

Take it to a good shop have them look it over and see what you need can prolly get your engine rebuilt for cheaper then a GM engine and you don't need to replace the intake if yours is good, same thing with the injectors if there good no need to replace them, it's your money do what you want but that's what I'd do

alaska_guy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Why not just get a 5.3L with low miles out of a junkyard? They can be found with 20-30k miles where I live, we only have 2 junkyards here to give you an idea... So you should be able to find a 5.3 pretty easy in the lower 48 for cheap. You might pay $1000 at most for a 5.3L. Those engines are everywhere.

Here is an example of a 5.3L here that has under 100k for $650

https://anchorage.craigslist.org/cto/5803551489.html

Last edited:

95escahoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Why not just get a 5.3L with low miles out of a junkyard? They can be found with 20-30k miles where I live, we only have 2 junkyards here to give you an idea... So you should be able to find a 5.3 pretty easy in the lower 48 for cheap. You might pay $1000 at most for a 5.3L. Those engines are everywhere.

Here is an example of a 5.3L here that has under 100k for $650

https://anchorage.craigslist.org/cto/5803551489.html

Or that pick one up, have a shop look it over throw it in and your good to go

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Burgy