Your thoughts - how long to keep '05 Tahoe

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Rob_L

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I've found posts on the forum talking about engine and transmission life expectancy for the '00 - '06 models. I've found articles on money management sites about decision points on when to replace a vehicle. What I haven't found are any articles or discussions that bring everything together...

First, a little background is probably necessary. I am 3-5 years from retirement and solidly middle class (meaning: I need to mind my pennies). I own an '05 Tahoe LT package with the 5.3 that I purchased new. A very important feature is that it's paid for. It has right at 60,000 miles on it and has been very well maintained. The body and interior are in near-new condition. It has a towing package, brake controller, and a sound system I installed myself (JL audio stealth center console sub, component speakers in the doors, amps, CleanSweep, and a Kenwood Music Keg for digital music - and there's no classical music on it, either!). This vehicle is our "road car" since my wife's car is a Corolla and I have a bad back. I still get about 16.5 MPG to and from work and 19-20 on the highway (as good as many so-called mid-sized and crossover SUVs!).

Now the planning part... on the forum, it looks like many people are of the opinion that, properly maintained, one can expect 200,000 or more miles from the engine and about 175K from the transmission (I don't tow often at all). Taking into consideration the current gas prices (still $3.65 in my area but $4.00 many places), monthly payments, insurance rates, and any other factors you can think of, what would your plan be for the long-haul? I don't "have the hots" for a new vehicle - I like this one just fine. If I keep it, I might do a few things to enhance enjoyment on the road - such as replace the factory head unit with an in-dash multi-media navigation unit (probably Kenwood Excelon with Garmin technology). What do you think about driving the truck as long as it's reliable and affordable to maintain and repair? My gut says "keep it." Any thoughts?

07Burb

GM fan for life
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
At just 60k miles and in as good of shape as you describe I'd be keeping that Hoe. You've got a lot of life left in her especially if you've been keeping her properly maintained (which I have a hunch you have). No since in wasting money on something when you have a clean, low mileage paid for vehicle already at your disposal.

Just my .02 cents :D

Freedom Motorsports

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Welcome to the neighborhood!

I say keep it. When you consider the cost involved with purchasing a new truck, compared to the cost of maintaining the one you have, with gas prices where they are, you will come out ahead keeping what you have. Since you purchased it new, you also know what you have. You know for a fact what the maintenance history is on the truck. Often times the issues with the tranny and other items can be attributed to lack of proper maintenance, and at times abusive driving habits.

The only recommendation I have is to, if you have not already done so, change ALL your fluids to full synthetic. This will ensure you have better fluids protecting the mechanical viability of your truck.

If you buy new, they can have issues as well. But then you have, possibly, a new payment to go with it. On top of fuel prices, etc.

chauncey0337

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I say keep it! It's paid off and you maintain it very well. Unless you've got your eye on another vehicle. These trucks will go well over 200k. Just keep up with the fluid changes and flushes and enjoy your Tahoe for many years to come. Good luck(not that you need it).

felixgun

Full Access Member
Reaction score
60k is nothing man. I kept my NBS hoe until 150k. And even at that mileage it never gave me any major issues and drove as smooth as the day I got it.

ATL

Full Access Member
Reaction score
damn, i bought mine at 95k...

its at 180k now and although weve had a few issues, nothing major.

LuSe4

Bleen Member
Reaction score
I am just a shade over 80,000. If yours runs and drives as nice as mine, then I wouldn't even consider getting rid of it. Of course unless you were looking to downsize.

OHSIXX

Supporting Member
Reaction score
No brainer....KeeP IT :D It is barely broken in and that is very low mileage too......

I bought my 06' with just over 85K on the clock and I thought that was low ;)

Oh and WeLcOmE...........

OP
OP
R

Rob_L

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Thanks, everyone - I'm convinced. Downsizing is a bit tempting when paying at the pump, but gas prices would have to get a lot worse to make a new monthly payment worthwhile.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Chevy100