Cold Air Intake for the most power??

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Goodlife_chevy

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Has anyone tested the power gain in the different brand intakes? Im getting ready to buy one, most the time im happy to have one to let the truck breathe better but I know this tahoe will be with me long term and would rather buy the best and not have to replace being dissapointed!

Let me hear your pros and cons to the intakes you've tried out!

Thanks,

Brennan

LordWayback

Full Access Member
Reaction score
unless you’re getting a tune a intake will do about jack My 2001 Yukon xl has a spectre intake the reason I’d recommend Spectre is because you can walk into any oreilys (pending stock) and get one or filters or pieces for it
Pros : 50 state legal , requires no modifications to the body of the truck or screwing/drilling With a proper tune you might gain 3 hp lol, sounds cool
Cons : costs a pretty penny for what it is
Nearly no splash protection.YouTube short how it sounds with a thrush muffler

Joseph Garcia

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Unless the aftermarket intake is pulling in air from OUTSIDE the engine bay (like through a tire wheel well) it is NOT a cold air intake, regardless of what the packaging says.

You will get some additional sound at WOT, but any power increase won't be noticeable.

Spend your money on a Black Bear Performance tune, and you WILL notice significant motor and transmission performance increases.

OP
OP
Goodlife_chevy

Goodlife_chevy

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Unless the aftermarket intake is pulling in air from OUTSIDE the engine bay (like through a tire wheel well) it is NOT a cold air intake, regardless of what the packaging says.

You will get some additional sound at WOT, but any power increase won't be noticeable.

Spend your money on a Black Bear Performance tune, and you WILL notice significant motor and transmission performance increases.
I have a simple plug and play S1000, mainly wanted to get that V4 mode turned off! Yeah that’s the tough part I’m not going through the effort to allow cold air like I did my Subaru. Seems like most people say they gain small power, small sound but it looks good under the hood. Just feels like it’s missing something

j91z28d1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
after looking at it.. this one might actually be a thing.

I'm sure their numbers are way over board, and I can't try one as it looks like it mounts right where my coolent tank goes. but could he real ram air.

j91z28d1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I am still temped to try this one some day if can ever stop spending the money are repairs haha.

only with the Donaldson power core filter. I don't trust the others. they also have a ram air duct that runs down behind the tow hook I believe that you can add on.

you'll never get a hp to $ value from it but it looks nice.

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Has anyone tested the power gain in the different brand intakes? Im getting ready to buy one, most the time im happy to have one to let the truck breathe better but I know this tahoe will be with me long term and would rather buy the best and not have to replace being dissapointed!

Let me hear your pros and cons to the intakes you've tried out!

Thanks,

Brennan
all claims of power aside, the bottom line is a nice $300-400 cai is going to fit and work better than a $100 cai.
you get what you pay for.
if you buy that $60 special off amazon/ebay, you get a $60 piece of junk that has to be modified to just stay attached.

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
you want one that has a support bracket for the tube and the filter, otherwise they wiggle and come apart, break, etc
a good well thought out design is worth it.

LordWayback

Full Access Member
Reaction score
you want one that has a support bracket for the tube and the filter, otherwise they wiggle and come apart, break, etc
a good well thought out design is worth it.
I think the overall best value one is the one I have the only problem is you have to crank the hose clamp on the filter pretty good

Foggy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've tried diff ones on my Yuk and on several other cars over the years.
I finally decided on the MIT tube only for the Yukon...
The OE filter box IS A CAI !!!! I have a good " green filter" in there
(it came with my supercharger that is now gone)...
I've looked at my IAT's quite a bit...
The stock box is about the best and the MIT gets rid of the clutter
from the factory tubing. It gives a noticeable sound too when you get into
the throttle

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GMC GUy