Cruise control not working

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Coalhat

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I was having the same issue. 2007 Yukon SLT 5.3. Intermittent functionality, really to pattern to when it would work and not work, but a major bummer on a 2000+ mile road trip. After replacing a headlight bulb the problem is gone. Is it possible that an "about to burn out" bulb could mess with the cruise control? Nothing else has been changed, but I have no more failures with the cruise.

Jayk

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Hi everyone! So far, reading through all these is giving me a good idea of what needs to be done, but I thought I'd put in my situation and see if anyone has any other ideas. I have an '05 Yukon, cc worked fine up until just today that I know of, but I haven't used it in about two months since it's been winter. Today was a balmy 35 degrees, roads were good, and I use my cc a Lot. I wouldn't have thought it related until I read through other experiences here, but here's what is going on. I tried to activate cc (mine is a button on the blinker control stick), and nothing. Pressed it again and nothing. Pressed it a third time and saw the dash light for it light up dimly for about a second, and then nothing. This is where it get's into ideas I got from this forum: The other day, my right rear blinker went out, pulled over at a gas station, pulled the capsule off, checked the bulb, but it was fine, then found it was all three right tail lights weren't working. *Important detail?* Took it in to the place I go for things I can't do (winter and no garage means most things right now), and it turned out it was just the connecter for those lights pulled out because a block of ice built up on the wire, they cleaned it for me, hooked it up, and didn't even charge me for it. After it was fixed, I noticed that night that same side backing/perimeter light was out (probably from me messing around with it, no big deal. *Important detail?* So today, before noticing cc didn't work, I went to my local napa where I buy all my parts and got six new bulbs, not LEDs, just bulbs, and replaced all six tail light bulbs, figured I'd just do them all at once. It was on my way to work from there when I noticed cc didn't work. So I'm wondering if maybe that the truck is 12 years old (still runs fantastic!), and a complete fluke, and maybe the brake switch just stopped working, or if the tail light connector or new bulbs could be the culprit. Unfortunately it's supposed to freezing rain all day tomorrow, so I might not get a chance to check anything for a couple days, but I didn't throw away the old brake light bulbs yet, so I'm wondering if maybe that's the culprit. All six lights do work properly now, but I use cc constantly in good weather, and would be devistated if it was gone. Also I don't know if it could be connected in any way, but My ABS light has been on since I got the truck over a year ago, and in the fall one of my calipers seized, and since then after about 2 seconds to several minutes, I get 30 seconds of ringing and a "service brakes soon" message, but I've had it checked and it looks like it's just the sensor in the bearing hub which I'm doing once spring hits (meant to before winter, but then winter happened faster than I could get around to it). I'm sorry if this is more information, I don't usually post to things like this, I just want to get any info out that could help. Also, sorry for the massive wall of text. Thank any and all of you who are able to help me in advance, and if you need more details, please ask. I will check back and when I find a resolution, I will report back as to what it finally was.

Rocket Man

Mark
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone! So far, reading through all these is giving me a good idea of what needs to be done, but I thought I'd put in my situation and see if anyone has any other ideas. I have an '05 Yukon, cc worked fine up until just today that I know of, but I haven't used it in about two months since it's been winter. Today was a balmy 35 degrees, roads were good, and I use my cc a Lot. I wouldn't have thought it related until I read through other experiences here, but here's what is going on. I tried to activate cc (mine is a button on the blinker control stick), and nothing. Pressed it again and nothing. Pressed it a third time and saw the dash light for it light up dimly for about a second, and then nothing. This is where it get's into ideas I got from this forum: The other day, my right rear blinker went out, pulled over at a gas station, pulled the capsule off, checked the bulb, but it was fine, then found it was all three right tail lights weren't working. *Important detail?* Took it in to the place I go for things I can't do (winter and no garage means most things right now), and it turned out it was just the connecter for those lights pulled out because a block of ice built up on the wire, they cleaned it for me, hooked it up, and didn't even charge me for it. After it was fixed, I noticed that night that same side backing/perimeter light was out (probably from me messing around with it, no big deal. *Important detail?* So today, before noticing cc didn't work, I went to my local napa where I buy all my parts and got six new bulbs, not LEDs, just bulbs, and replaced all six tail light bulbs, figured I'd just do them all at once. It was on my way to work from there when I noticed cc didn't work. So I'm wondering if maybe that the truck is 12 years old (still runs fantastic!), and a complete fluke, and maybe the brake switch just stopped working, or if the tail light connector or new bulbs could be the culprit. Unfortunately it's supposed to freezing rain all day tomorrow, so I might not get a chance to check anything for a couple days, but I didn't throw away the old brake light bulbs yet, so I'm wondering if maybe that's the culprit. All six lights do work properly now, but I use cc constantly in good weather, and would be devistated if it was gone. Also I don't know if it could be connected in any way, but My ABS light has been on since I got the truck over a year ago, and in the fall one of my calipers seized, and since then after about 2 seconds to several minutes, I get 30 seconds of ringing and a "service brakes soon" message, but I've had it checked and it looks like it's just the sensor in the bearing hub which I'm doing once spring hits (meant to before winter, but then winter happened faster than I could get around to it). I'm sorry if this is more information, I don't usually post to things like this, I just want to get any info out that could help. Also, sorry for the massive wall of text. Thank any and all of you who are able to help me in advance, and if you need more details, please ask. I will check back and when I find a resolution, I will report back as to what it finally was.
I believe if there's any issues with your brakes OR brake lights, CC is disabled as a safety feature. I know you said you checked all 6 tail light bulbs, but did you check that the brake lights all work when someone steps on the pedal? If so, I suspect it's the ABS or service brakes soon issue.

doc_sun

Scotcher
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I believe if there's any issues with your brakes OR brake lights, CC is disabled as a safety feature. I know you said you checked all 6 tail light bulbs, but did you check that the brake lights all work when someone steps on the pedal? If so, I suspect it's the ABS or service brakes soon issue.

^^X2. Colder weather affects a corroded brake switch like a fiend. Then ANY issue with brake light malfunction will disengage the cruise control as per safety standard. So you may have a combination of both issues. You can try and "cheat" on the brake switch by climbing up under the brake pedal and spraying some Fluid Film into the switch (just for now) to see if that might isolate the issue.

Jayk

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Thank you both for answering so quickly. In response to Rocket Man, I did do a full lights check after I did it, I was just an the Napa parking lot and one of their guys pressed the brakes for me so I could make sure they were getting brighter properly. In response to doc_sun, is fluid film something I can pick up at any auto parts store? I've never actually heard of it before. I've been doing mostly my own repairs for several years now, but I still don't know everything. I'm hoping it's not the and/service brakes soon message, those have been around for a while, but I wouldn't rule them out just for that reason. The other thing I wonder is if the tail light connector came undone and sat there undone for a couple days while still driving around, could it be possible that the connection is good enough to light up the brake lights, but not good enough to keep cc going? Also, small update, while I was driving home, I tried it again, and found that if I rapidly press's the set speed button, the dash light does try to flicker on, but still faintly and doesn't last, so at the very least I feel like I can rule out the cc set button. Also, doc_sun, would I just spray the fluid film directly into the switch? Just being sure before I do something to accidently cause other problems.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ihaveatahoetoo