Lost Cruise Control Set Button

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jhwhite05

Reaction score
Hey everyone.
2009 Yukon Xl, 5.3 4WD.

Today I pushed my cruise control “set button” only to discover it stopped working.

I’d really appreciate your advice for fixing it! We do a lot of long road trips, and cruise control is a game changer for us.

What do you think is going on?

tooleyondeck

Full Access Member
Reaction score
No.
Interesting connection, though. What was your thought?
It is a known issue that LED tail lights will disable your cruise on certain models, I'm not sure if the 900s were affected by this. The system checks for resistance at the tail lights and with LEDs having much lower pull, the system thinks your brake lights are out and therefore won't engage cruise. The fix is typically resistors at both brake lights.

In your case I would start with the fuse, then check your steering wheel switch and brake light switch. Here is a video regarding the brake light switch issue:

OP
OP
Jhwhite05

Jhwhite05

Reaction score
It is a known issue that LED tail lights will disable your cruise on certain models, I'm not sure if the 900s were affected by this. The system checks for resistance at the tail lights and with LEDs having much lower pull, the system thinks your brake lights are out and therefore won't engage cruise. The fix is typically resistors at both brake lights.

In your case I would start with the fuse, then check your steering wheel switch and brake light switch. Here is a video regarding the brake light switch issue:

That’s really helpful. Thank you. I’ll check that!

Geotrash

Dave
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone.
2009 Yukon Xl, 5.3 4WD.

Today I pushed my cruise control “set button” only to discover it stopped working.

I’d really appreciate your advice for fixing it! We do a lot of long road trips, and cruise control is a game changer for us.

What do you think is going on?
Super common to have the brake pedal switch fail on these also. Try pressing the pedal lightly while driving with no one behind you, and letting it slam back to the top of its travel as your foot slips off. Then try engaging the cruise. If it works, it's your brake pedal switch for sure.

OP
OP
Jhwhite05

Jhwhite05

Reaction score
Super common to have the brake pedal switch fail on these also. Try pressing the pedal lightly while driving with no one behind you, and letting it slam back to the top of its travel as your foot slips off. Then try engaging the cruise. If it works, it's your brake pedal switch for sure.
Ok! I will try that and report back!

Just Fishing

Can't fix stupid
Reaction score
Mr Bean Waiting GIF by Bombay Softwares (GIF Image)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Off Road Pedia

Latest posts