Recommendations

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

GPPV

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
How's it going everyone I'm new to this forum. I just bought a 09 Chevy Tahoe ppv 5.3 vortec that has a TSP chopacabra cam in it. I'm looking to add more HP to it trying to figure out what type of headers I should get for more gains. Also looking to do the plugs and wires any help would be greatly appreciated

Last edited:

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
you wont get any respectable gains from any plugs or wires but head's sure. plug & wire money would better spent on having the intake ported or a 6.2l intake is a straight bolt on to the 5.3l and if it is not tuned already that is a small but seperate gain all on it's own
@iamdub @swathdiver

OP
OP
G

GPPV

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
you wont get any respectable gains from any plugs or wires but head's sure. plug & wire money would better spent on having the intake ported or a 6.2l intake is a straight bolt on to the 5.3l and if it is not tuned already that is a small but seperate gain all on it's own
@iamdub @swathdiver
So intake is that replacing the throttle body with a 6.2? I do have it tuned the guy I bought it from put a tune on it but didn't really know much about tunes went to a friend and he fine tuned it. So plugs and wires would be a waist of money brother. Again new to this and want to get this fast it's a project truck in the works.

Marky Dissod

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Longtube headers, sorry, don't know what vendor to recommend - yet - but
Longtube headers typically release more power than midlength or shortys.

What axle gear does your PPV have now?
I typically recommend 4.10 for 4L60E, or 3.73 for 6L80E.
You will notice the difference, especially after tuning for the new gears.

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So intake is that replacing the throttle body with a 6.2? I do have it tuned the guy I bought it from put a tune on it but didn't really know much about tunes went to a friend and he fine tuned it. So plugs and wires would be a waist of money brother. Again new to this and want to get this fast it's a project truck in the works.
ya if you changed the intake it would need a matching throttle body, the Hitachi ls7 ones are like $150 all day long plug-n-play
(not just the throttle body alone) it won't fit a 5.3l intake

Joseph Garcia

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Welcome to the Forum from NH.

Lots of knowledgeable folks here who freely share their knowledge, experiences, and perspectives. Knowledge is power.

I hope that you will become a participating member in the Forum's discussions.

Pics of the truck, please.

You are already receiving sage advice from the knowledgeable folks on this Forum.

It would also be helpful to know what your budget is for this performance improvement. You can do just about anything, if you have the cash. If you don't, knowing how much you can spend will help us to provide you with useful recommendations.

OP
OP
G

GPPV

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Longtube headers, sorry, don't know what vendor to recommend - yet - but
Longtube headers typically release more power than midlength or shortys.

What axle gear does your PPV have now?
I typically recommend 4.10 for 4L60E, or 3.73 for 6L80E.
You will notice the difference, especially after tuning for the new gears.
It has the 4L60E ok I was looking at long tubes thinking that's what I would want to get. Thank you

OP
OP
G

GPPV

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Welcome to the Forum from NH.

Lots of knowledgeable folks here who freely share their knowledge, experiences, and perspectives. Knowledge is power.

I hope that you will become a participating member in the Forum's discussions.

Pics of the truck, please.

You are already receiving sage advice from the knowledgeable folks on this Forum.

It would also be helpful to know what your budget is for this performance improvement. You can do just about anything, if you have the cash. If you don't, knowing how much you can spend will help us to provide you with useful recommendations.
Thank you I will post pics of my truck soon

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
How's it going everyone I'm new to this forum. I just bought a 09 Chevy Tahoe ppv 5.3 vortec that has a TSP chopacabra cam in it. I'm looking to add more HP to it trying to figure out what type of headers I should get for more gains. Also looking to do the plugs and wires any help would be greatly appreciated
There was a fella on here a few years ago that used Amazon parts to make his Tahoe faster. Look up the posts by @badandyturbo. He's not on here anymore, sold the truck and is playing with twin turbo Fords now. I and others on this here forum have personally witnessed the performance gains, long tubes were good for about 25 rear wheel horsepower through the traps in the quarter mile. Gears would be a good mod too if you have tires that hook.

That cam is massive for a 5.3, traded all your low end torque and give some back up above 4,000+ rpms for more horsepower.

My 5.3 puts down an average of 315 rear wheel horsepower through the traps in the quarter mile. It was originally rated for 310 SAE Net horsepower at the flex plate. Its only modifications are a Magnaflow Y-Pipe and Cats and a BlackBear Performance tune.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
thydrick