'02 5.3L Knocking/Ticking only at highway speeds

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

dmperfection

Reaction score
Just last night, my engine started making a knocking/ticking sound while on the highway doing about 65 yo 70 mph. Went on for 5 or so miles, then went away when I hit surface streets. Definitely coming from engine like a sticky lifter. Anyone run into this or ideas? 230k miles. Plenty of fresh oil from my last change 1,500 mills ago.

OP
OP
D

dmperfection

Reaction score
Reaching out once more. I've maintained speeds to 65 and under and no ticking. Oil pressure gauge seems to be reading a little low. Idle used to be approximately 40 psi, now it's 20 psi but gets up to 40 psi as ssoon as I accelerate. I was thinking my gauge was gong bad, but the ticking/knocking seems like I may be starving for oil at high speeds.

Anyone?

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Remove oil sender and attach gauge and get a cold start idle, cold accel and warm idle and warm accel and compare to spec.

Robertss

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
how long have your truck my old 6.0 did that same thing had to replace all the rods and mains cuz the dumbass before me drove around with a bad oil pump, ive heard the o ring for the pick up tube goes bad and can effect oil to the motor which in turn leads to bearing wear, then my mechanic at the time didn't tell me I needed new cam bearings so $2000 or more later oil pressure was 0 psi at idle and around 20 psi while driving , sold it guess it seized up a few weeks later, if I would of know all that I would of got a junkyard 6.0 and rebuilt it with some turbo power :)

OP
OP
D

dmperfection

Reaction score
Use test equipment to get absolutes and don't guess. It could get costly.

I got a hold of an pressure test kit, but thread at sending unit port is oddball M16x1.5. I've checked many other sets online and none have a fitting that works at the sending unit port.

Until I found this item:

http://www.autometer.com/cat_accessoriesdetail.aspx?vid=58

However, after reading more on testing oil pressure on these engines, I found there is a cup adapter J 42907 that fits on the oil filter port.

Does it matter if I hook up at top or bottom? The adapter for hook up on top is $12. The oil filter port adapter is $120+!

OP
OP
D

dmperfection

Reaction score
Here's an update.

We've been driving gently but twice oil gauge dropped to zero and check oil pressure has come on. Shutting down engine and restarting a few minutes later brings pressure back.

Got my mechanical guage hooked up. At full full operating temp, I'm reading 28 to 30 psi @idle. Pressure goes up to ~40 psi at 1k to 2k RPM. At highway speeds, consistent at ~40 PSI.

Here's the strange part. I stopped the engine and let it sit for 30 to 40 minutes. When I restarted, I wasn't at full operating temp and mechanical gauge read 18 to 20 PSI.

Why would my oil pressure drop at cooler engine temp?

Gonna check pressure again later at full cold start.

Last edited:

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
IMO you have a pressure problem from the oil pump area. These engines are known for an o-ring failure at the pick up tube attachment. You can go thru all the work to drop the pan and change just that o-ring or do the pump while there and bet the pressure comes up. With the 230k miles that is what I would do. Your call.

Rock Auto

Oil pump-Sealed Power-Good quality-#22443645 $113.79
Screen-Sealed Power-do it when in there and toss the old one-#22415070-$73.79
O-Ring seal-FELPRO-#72401-$1.44
Pan Gasket-FELPRO-#OS30693R-$32.99

The seal will be with the new pump so use it if you wish and while in there go ahead and get the new screen assembly in case the seal area flange is warped slightly and could still cause a drop in pressure.

OP
OP
D

dmperfection

Reaction score
IMO you have a pressure problem from the oil pump area. These engines are known for an o-ring failure at the pick up tube attachment. You can go thru all the work to drop the pan and change just that o-ring or do the pump while there and bet the pressure comes up. With the 230k miles that is what I would do. Your call.

I'm with you on this one raiderron. Would there be any benefit in a high flow oil pump from Melling or SLP? This is a daily driver, no mods, just bare bones stock.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Helmetgurus