04 with Ford Keys, 285's or 315's?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

big mean

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I am putting in Ford keys next weekend and need to decide on tire size. I want to go as large as possible, but not have rubbing issues. Common sense tells me to stick with the 285's, but I am going to run stock 17" wheels. I have seen a few other run the 315's with just keys and spacers. Will I have to run spacers on the back? I really just want to do the keys and keep it level. I am ok with a little trimming and molding of the wheel liners, but dont want to go extreme. This will see about 99% highway, I just want it to look mean. Thanks in advance, James.

AquinoSteven

Key and Spacer Guru
Reaction score
Go with the 285s if you dont want to do spacers. If you want to do the 315s then go with the 2" rear spacers

Tonka Tahoe

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Go with the 315's. You will wish you did if you get the 285's. I always hear from people that buy tires that they wish they would have gone bigger. Trust me you wont regret it.

OP
OP
big mean

big mean

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Thats my issue, I know I will wish I had gone bigger. I am worried about shocks in the rear though. I want to keep the stock rear air system, while it is still working...lol IT only has 55k miles and still works great. I plan to use shock extenders up front, but I am not sure what to do in the back?

I am spending the bucks on BFG AT's, so i dont want to regret not getting the 315's now. On the other hand, I am having my first kid in a couple weeks, so I dont want to have issues down the road when I am broke.

Thanks for the suggestions, James.

---------- Post added at 08:04 AM ---------- Previous post was at 06:40 AM ----------

SInce I want to get rid of the rake, I will probably go with the 285's. I dont want to try to crank the front up so far that it rides like crap, just to level it out and run 315's.

OP
OP
big mean

big mean

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Do they make that in the BFG AT? The sites I looked at went from 285/70 to 305/65. I am sticking with the BFG AT's, i know for a fact they last.

indian mark

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So, Are you guys saying a 285/70/17 will fit a stock 2000 Yukon with 17 inch (Escalade) rims? I don't know what "keys" are.
I'm a big fan of the BFG ATs, they're great.

OP
OP
big mean

big mean

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
here's some 295's (but not BFG's)

what about going to 305's 305/65-17
same hight as the 285/70-17, but wider

http://www.discounttire.com/dtcs/fi...true&cf=false&rd=17&sw=false&rc=WASINT&cs=305

I saw those, but on stock rims I dont want to go too wiiiiide. I am basically going for the look of how a 4x4 Tahoe should have came from the factory. Leveled with decent AT tires. I am pretty sure I am going to run the 285's. I am having a hard time spending the money on bigger tires to get worse fuel milage. I had to remind myself that this is not going to be show truck or even driven that much, so no need to go all out. Hell, its an 04 with 55k miles...lol

---------- Post added at 11:54 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:53 AM ----------

Thanks for the suggestions guys.

KrautBurner

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm finding myself in the same boat,

trying to decide if I wanna go with 275's (and no suspension work)
or do keys and 285's

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lukekuhner369