07 4L60E trans question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

NickTransmissions

Sin City
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Unfortunately, I do not have a scan tool.
Id invest in one. Autel is prob the best bang for your buck and should give you all the capabilities you need as a DYIer. Not having a scan tool puts you at a huge disadvantage; they typically pay for themselves in one to three uses vs going to a shop to have them use their scanners and charging you $$$ for that service.

You need to find out if the PCM is commanding the TC off or if the TCC is releasing when it shouldnt be. If the TCC duty cycle is at or near max in third or fourth gear while cruising and slip speeds are higher than 10-15 rpm then there's def a problem. From there, you need to find the source of the problem.

The list of suspects are the following:
- TCC solenoid/harness (you replaced this - what tcc solenoid did you buy?)

- Worn TCC regulator valve (valve body) - very common in these transmissions

- Worn TCC apply valve (pump) - less common but i see it from time to time on the vac tester

- worn 2-4 band

- worn/failing 3-4 clutch pack

- Worn torque converter clutch and/or failing torque converter

Given the amount of miles on your trans, I'd begin saving for a rebuild if you havent already done so.

Are you open to learning how to rebuild it yourself?

OP
OP
992dr

992dr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Fti is supposed to be quality stuff I’ve got a 4wd 4l60 with 175k miles I’ll let you get cheap but you would have to pull it out I could help you do that if need be but it sounds like something else maybe electrical in the computer or the sensors that’s a weird issue.
I always had Jamie Parker in havelock to tune my stuff and he has always had the transmission tuned dialed in perfectly but your right nobody around us wants to mess with transmissions there is one fella in James city Newbern way that is supposed to be good I had terrible luck with Ammco recently so avoid them IMO
Performabuilt is supposed to be pretty good built transmissions
FTI does have a good reputation, but mine was installed about ten years ago and there was a little drama with the shop who did it. FTI will rebuild/re-stall my converter but it's going to take up to 3 weeks.
Mine is 2wd, I appreciate the offer Trey, you're a good man.
I met Jamie years ago when I first moved here. I haven't had the pleasure of working with him just talked to him a few times. He's a good guy.
I asked a local trans guy if he would install an aftermarket transmission, and he said no. I had an FLT in my 2dr Tahoe. Yes, Performabuilt are quality, I was also looking at Gearstar.

OP
OP
992dr

992dr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Id invest in one. Autel is prob the best bang for your buck and should give you all the capabilities you need as a DYIer. Not having a scan tool puts you at a huge disadvantage; they typically pay for themselves in one to three uses vs going to a shop to have them use their scanners and charging you $$$ for that service.

You need to find out if the PCM is commanding the TC off or if the TCC is releasing when it shouldnt be. If the TCC duty cycle is at or near max in third or fourth gear while cruising and slip speeds are higher than 10-15 rpm then there's def a problem. From there, you need to find the source of the problem.

The list of suspects are the following:
- TCC solenoid/harness (you replaced this - what tcc solenoid did you buy?)

- Worn TCC regulator valve (valve body) - very common in these transmissions

- Worn TCC apply valve (pump) - less common but i see it from time to time on the vac tester

- worn 2-4 band

- worn/failing 3-4 clutch pack

- Worn torque converter clutch and/or failing torque converter

Given the amount of miles on your trans, I'd begin saving for a rebuild if you havent already done so.

Are you open to learning how to rebuild it yourself?
Is there a specific model Autel I should look for?

I replaced the solenoid with an ACDelco solenoid.

Is the TCC regulator valve the same as a Fitzall valve?

I'm looking for a new trans now, I'll be calling them tomorrow.

I think I'd really enjoy rebuilding it. Unfortunately, it's my daily and I don't have a back up vehicle.

Thanks Nick, I appreciate the help and info.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mikechill

Latest posts