07 yukon starting problem

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

iRIDElow

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i have a 07 yukon w/ 32k miles and my problem is occassionally its very sluggish on the start typically not on a cold start, but say i stop and get something to eat and when i come back out an hour or so later to start it i will turn the key and it is either very sluggish, or the starter sounds like its engaged and just turns over and turns over until finally it kicks on. truck is still under warranty soo the dealer is taking the truck every time i have an issue but the problem is the dealer is telling me that they cant fix the problem if they dont know what it is because its not throwing a check engine light or anything of that sort. What im looking for is maybe someone that has had kinda the same issue or someone that can kinda point me in the right direction. the service guy said last time it was there that they tested the starter and it tested fine and also thru in a new battery, but im leaning towards a fuel issue because once it starts it acts like lack of fuel real low RPMs until it boggs up a little but i may be wrong just looking for some help

thanks

dsump

Reaction score
Yesterday my 07 (29,000 miles) would not start at all. There was plenty of battery power, 12.75 volts and there were no codes. I would turn the key and nothing would happen. No clicking, no sounds at all. So I had my wife turn the key while I tapped the starter with a hammer. Fired right up. Today it happened again. Had to get my 10yr old to turn the key for me while I tapped. I called my dealer and told the service guy the issue. They picked up my Yukon, replaced the starter and returned my ride back to my house, no charges (under warranty). The Service guy told me that the starter was grounding itself out.

GM Customer Service

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i have a 07 yukon w/ 32k miles and my problem is occassionally its very sluggish on the start typically not on a cold start, but say i stop and get something to eat and when i come back out an hour or so later to start it i will turn the key and it is either very sluggish, or the starter sounds like its engaged and just turns over and turns over until finally it kicks on. truck is still under warranty soo the dealer is taking the truck every time i have an issue but the problem is the dealer is telling me that they cant fix the problem if they dont know what it is because its not throwing a check engine light or anything of that sort. What im looking for is maybe someone that has had kinda the same issue or someone that can kinda point me in the right direction. the service guy said last time it was there that they tested the starter and it tested fine and also thru in a new battery, but im leaning towards a fuel issue because once it starts it acts like lack of fuel real low RPMs until it boggs up a little but i may be wrong just looking for some help

thanks

Hello,

Sorry to hear about the troubles you are having. If the dealership can’t figure this out, they should be contacting our Technical Assistance team. I would suggest taking it to the dealership to have them take care of this again. If they have any trouble handling this at that point, please let me know. I will contact them to make sure they get this figured out.

Geoff Allen
GM Customer Service

RegalCavalier

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Does sound like a fuel problem. Should have someone throw a fuel pressure gauge on the fuel rail and see what the pressure is before and after you start. Also, there is a check valve in the fuel line to keep fuel in the fuel rail. If fuel pressure drops rapidly after turning the engine off, it maybe a check valve issue. Check valve is in the fuel pump in the gas tank.

OP
OP
iRIDElow

iRIDElow

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hello,

Sorry to hear about the troubles you are having. If the dealership can’t figure this out, they should be contacting our Technical Assistance team. I would suggest taking it to the dealership to have them take care of this again. If they have any trouble handling this at that point, please let me know. I will contact them to make sure they get this figured out.

Geoff Allen
GM Customer Service

the truck is back at the dealership now for the 3rd time and im still getting the same response since they have had it this time for a week. the problem doesnt happen all the time soo they dont want to spend a lot of time just trying to get it to have a faulty start and its not throwing any codes soo they cant diagnose it which i understand BUT.....when i dropped the truck off they told me to have a tech walk out and show them the starting problem like i was crazy or something and it didnt really happen, and for the first time acctually in front of a tech it started like crap and turned over and turned over and then once it caught the motor started but with a very low RPM like 200-300 then slowly bogged it self up to a normal idle. ive called the dealer 2 times since it has been there this week and both times they have told me that it has given the tech some problems but they cant pin-point the issue soo he just keeps trying diffrent things, and i have no estimated time on when the truck should be done.....im stuck

---------- Post added at 02:38 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:35 PM ----------

ill PM you GM customer service

thanks

Stompor

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Just had my 07 Yukon towed in for the second time.
When I go to start it, I get nothing, just a single click.

The first time it went in, when they pulled it off the flatbed, it started right up.
The only thing that they thought they could find was "a loose wire".

I asked them to look at replacing the starter this time, we will see.
I bet it will start up fine again after it is dropped off.

Anyone else have a similar problem? Did you get it fixed?

Stompor

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Update

Well my Yukon did not start when the tow truck dropped it off, but did start on the second try by the service tech.

The dealership has agreed to replace the starter even though they have not yet confirmed it is bad.

OklabyGodhoma

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Guys all of these have the same problem and GM won't address it.....they eat batteries due to the "voltage management system" being too frigging stingy. They were great with mine.....gave me a total of 4 batteries while it was under warranty. Never once tried to fix the problem because they can't. The problem stems from Detroit and they don't care about fixing it. A dealership battery is cheaper than mechanic time and your out the door grinning because they gave you a new battery....BFD. Most on here it seems have gone the same way I went, after warranty; Optima Yellow top. It's not because of the cold cranking amps, it's because this paticular battery is a deep cycle battery and will span over those times when the system gets starved. Yea, its an expensive battery and there are other "deep cycle batteries" out there but buyer beware. Know for sure you are getting what you pay for. The nice thing to me about Optima is the warranty...36 months NON-prorated. 35 months and it goes out you get a freeby....NO hassles. Think about it.

SmallXL

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Agree with the battery issue. Just burned another one! I don't have the time to take it to the dealer to have them run a battery check and go in circles (been there done that). Had to buy another battery and suck up the $$$.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
le frog