What did you do to your 2015-2020 K2XX Tahoe/Yukon Today?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

justchecking

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Getting ready for a pheasant hunting trip to SD. Replaced my temporary duty spare with a full size 22” road worthy spare and made sure I had all the tools and they worked.
Here is the new spare and tucked away under the Suburban. The cardboard is under there because I sprayed some fluid film in a few likely rust spots.
IMG_4020.jpegFullSizeRender.jpeg

CMoore711

Full Access Member
Reaction score
@justchecking what size tire you got on that spare? OEM 285/45R22?

Can you post some pics how it looks from the back with a full size 22” spare back there?

Interested in how much lowered it sits below the bumper cover and ground clearance. I should really do this for Wilwood BBK at all 4 corners.

justchecking

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
@justchecking what size tire you got on that spare? OEM 285/45R22?

Can you post some pics how it looks from the back with a full size 22” spare back there?

Interested in how much lowered it sits below the bumper cover and ground clearance. I should really do this for Wilwood BBK at all 4 corners.
So here's the deal. A few years ago a tow truck driver flagged us down because he had a chevy truck client stuck in the woods with a shredded tire and neither him nor the owner had the chevy tool to crank the tire down. So we drove in there and he used my tool to crank the tire down (it was a bear because the crank mechanism was all corroded up). Finally got the tire down and installed and someone noticed the "TEMPORARY USE ONLY" note on the sidewall (and as I recall the truck may have had aftermarket tires and wheels on it). Well, they had a couple hundred miles to tow a camper home and probably over max gross vehicle weight because modern hunters take EVERYTHING with them. So how far is too far on a temporary only spare?
So I make sure I am good to go with options.
My new spare tire is a Bridgestone Alenza 285/45R22 32.1" Dia with 11.2" section width on a 22x9 rim with same offset and setback. I went ahead and bought a new tire because the other four are brand spanking new. My OEM spare was a 265/70R17 with a 31.6" Dia and 10.4" section width. It was clearly marked TEMPORARY USE ONLY and also somewhere I saw DO NOT TOW WITH THIS TIRE. So the new tire is only .5" bigger in diameter and .8" wider. The picture I posted below tries to show that the differential still hangs slightly below the tire. Standing in back of the vehicle I could not really see that the spare now hangs 0.8" lower than it did before.
The previous spare rim was designed so it would not hold water. If you look closely at the picture of the new spare in the earlier post you may be able to see a small weep hole opposite the valve stem. That is oriented at the lowest point when the tire is cranked up under the Suburban. Any more questions, just ask!
IMG_4027.jpg
IMG_4026.jpg
IMG_4025.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Salty Crusty

Latest posts