1 quart low after 3,000 miles

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ekordas

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So my 2002 5.3L has gone through about a quart of oil since the last oil change. The check engine oil level light came on today and the dipstick was pretty dry. Pretty sure my sending unit is bad considering my oil pressure needle shakes like crazy at idle. Anyone have possible causes of oil loss? No leaks on the garage floor but getting some drip marks coming down towards the oil filter possibly from the back of the engine. I'm wondering if my sending unit is actually starting to leak once the engine is running, so I could be leaving my oil on the road and not on my garage floor where I can see it. Any advice? Common spots for oil loss? She's been well maintained since brand new. I switched to synthetic oil a couple oil changes ago, maybe it's too thin for a truck with 150k on it. Definitely switching back to regular motor oil to prevent fast oil loss. I don't think she's burning it. No dark smoke out of the tailpipes. If anything it might have a slight white smoke coming from the pipes.

Hooch

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Pretty common with the 5.3 motor. If you are in a warner climate try some Rotella 15-40 oil. See if that makes a differense

doylee4693

Tahoe User
Reaction score
Try changing youre pcv valve. If you havent changed it before then upgrade it to a fixed orrifice pcv valve and see if that helps.

dmperfection

Reaction score
My '02 Tahoe 5.3L with 208k miles is losing about a quart every 2k miles and from what I understand, is acceptable. I've been using 5/30 Mobil 1 full synthetic for high mileage for the last four years, and in the last year started adding just a tad bit of Lucas oil stabilizer. The Lucas seems to slow down the consumption just a bit. However, I did start seeing the same leak you have going on; from above the oil filter that comes down the sides of the oil filter. Also, I've recently started seeing my oil pressure guage start to quiver a little at idle, but goes back to smooth when rolling--I plan to ask the oil pressure quiver on a new thread.

Screwd up 6

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have a 2002 5.3 with 123K on it, I noticed my light came on as well almost exactly at 3K miles. I called up a friend of mine that is a certified mechanic that has a 5.3 as well. He said all of his 5.3Ls have used more oil than what is normally expected. I was told, if there is no noticeable leak, that 1qt is not anything to worry about every 3K. He said given the mileage and that the 5.3L is notorious for using oil, I dont need to worry.

03z71chevy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My research has also suggested these engines drink oil. My 03 with 230K uses at least a quart every 2K miles. That's running royal purple. I also have never noticed any smoke which I am glad about but seems odd.

yukonese

Reaction score
1 quart loss between oil change

My Yukon (2001 5.3L, 75k miles) started to lose 1 quart of oil when it's time to change oil (about 6k miles interval) two years ago, there is no any oil leak on the ground, no smoke from the pipe either.

The smog check looks fine too, here are the numbers:

15mph@1353RPM 15% CO2 0% O2 4PPM HC 0.01% CO 0PPM NO
25mph@1367RPM 15% CO2 0% O2 3PPM HC 0.01% CO 0PPM NO

The minimum requirement for 2011 California standard is

15mph 101PPM HC 0.57% CO 980PPM NO
25mph 90PPM HC 1% CO 840PPM NO

I kind of doubt the cheap O'Rielly motor oil is the root cause, because this problem happened after I used this oil. Of cause, I switched to name brand synthetic motor oil afterwards.

Where does that quart go? Any inexpensive treatment (Slick 50) works? Thanks.

doylee4693

Tahoe User
Reaction score
Guys this is not a common issue with these motors so please stop saying that (unless its due to high mileage). Did anyone of you even bother checking your pcv valve as ive suggested instead of "broken is how its supposed to be" sort of attitude. It might actually work you know just a heads up.

livingez_123

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm a Amsoil dealer and I have been told by many higher ups and customers, if you have a weak seal or gasket synthetic oil will find it and if you never burn oil with regular dino oil you might notice some usage with the synthetic oil. if you build a new engine and start with synthetic you won't have an issue with leakage or useage.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dhrusso925