100k tuneup and mods

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Cy-Gor

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I picked up a 2004 Yukon XL denali with a little over 100k miles on it.

It is primarily a highway vehicle and it seems to run pretty well.

I am planning a tuneup weekend soon and needed some parts input.

So far on the list:

Oil/filter change.

Spark plugs and wires.

new belt.

Brake pads.

Diff lube change.

Major project is to move from mechanical to electric fan. I think i found the fan i need but not sure if i need more parts than that.

the car seems to ride OK but i dont know how long the air ride shocks are supposed to last so a possible delete and swap with normal shocks is in the cards as well.

Are there any gotchas with the vehicle i should be aware of in any of these?

Any recommendations on parts? brands and models?

I run Royal purple in my miata since it is turboed, am i throwing away money on the 6.0L with RP or will it make a difference that makes it worth it?

Sorry for the long post.

OP
OP
C

Cy-Gor

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Yeah i was planning on it, just forgot to add it to the list.

I plan on getting someone to flush the transmission since its not crazy expensive and they do a better job on autos.

I assume the transfer case on the AWD is just a simple fluid swap? or is there more to it?

doylee4693

Tahoe User
Reaction score
Yeah i was planning on it, just forgot to add it to the list.

I plan on getting someone to flush the transmission since its not crazy expensive and they do a better job on autos.

I assume the transfer case on the AWD is just a simple fluid swap? or is there more to it?

Dont flush it unless you have done it within 50k,it will do more damage then good..just do a drain and fill.And yea the transfer case is also just a drain and fill!As far as it being a better idea to use gm fluids I dont really know?I know with toyotas alot of people only used toyota fluids,Im new to gm though.I know when you drain the tranny and fill there are still something like 6 quarts of fluid still in youre torque convertor so I dont know if its good to mix a different tranny fluid with the old old stuff.I would think you would want the same oil thats in the convertor which is gm fluid.Would love someone to chime in on that though!

OP
OP
C

Cy-Gor

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Why shouldn't it be flushed if it has been more than 50k?

I need to dig into the service records to see what all has been done.

erikrichard

Reaction score
Flushing circulates tons of fine particles throughout the system and was highly recommended against by every competant mechanic I've ever asked. It also doesn't include filter replacement, just drain and fill. I'd add transfer case fluid, fuel and air filters, and greasing the front end to your list.

OP
OP
C

Cy-Gor

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Makes sense.

Anyone have an opinion one way or the other on what fluids to use on this drivetrain?

Like I said earlier I use Royal Purple engine oil and redline manual transmission and diff fluid in my miata. But its a turbo, and i race it.

I dont mind spending a bit more for good fluids but i dont know if its worth the trouble on this motor.

Last thing, Timing chain/belt? which is it and should i worry about replacing it?

ezdaar

Chat Troll
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Wow, someone went grave digging and dug up a zombie thread. :)

But as far as the answer to your question. Literally never is the answer.
Altho, alot of people will install a new chain when they do a engine rebuild or cam swap.
Bit only if the teeth on the gear are severely worn or have been running some really hardcore valve springs under race conditions.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SBRKPRO