Advice on purchasing a used 2003 with 100k miles

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mountie

Supporting Member
Reaction score
This makes me curious what my 04 Yukon SLE 2wd, with 135k on the clock is worth as I'm just about to list it.

View attachment 436843
Looks nice,..... on the exterior, reasonable mileage.....
But, 'more input'.... But it looks nice from the one photo.... But hard to figure the selling price without knowing about the rest of the Yukon.

(The body...... lowered? or taller wheels? )

( Right-front plastic bumper cap is crooked & front bumper is lower than normal )

Last edited:

Gnarley

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Looks nice,..... on the exterior, reasonable mileage.....
But, 'more input'.... But it looks nice from the one photo.... But hard to figure the selling price without knowing about the rest of the Yukon.

(The body...... lowered? or taller wheels? )

( Right-front plastic bumper cap is crooked & front bumper is lower than normal )
Good eye, you're exactly right, about 3 year's ago that corner of the chrome bumper was hit, very minor but I didn't want to or had time to deal with it. Other than that, no exterior issues, no pealing paint. It's not a 10 but maybe an 8 on a 10 scale.

I put a lowering kit on it 10 years ago 2 1/2 drop front and 4" rear springs, added the 20's and they have new tires and shocks on 4 corners. I just replaced the cluster due to fricken guage issues so they are all great now and it's got a Kenwood double din deck with a backup camera. It's not perfect but it's pretty nice and someone else can take care of the other items, I'm done with it but will miss it, it's been great for 21 years but I bought a truck and this one needs to find a new home. I should mention the engine has always had synthetic and doesn't lose a drop of oil. I've serviced it since new as I was once an ASE master tech. If there's a for sale section I'll try posting more info there including the original window sticker.

mountie

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Good eye, you're exactly right, about 3 year's ago that corner of the chrome bumper was hit, very minor but I didn't want to or had time to deal with it. Other than that, no exterior issues, no pealing paint. It's not a 10 but maybe an 8 on a 10 scale.

I put a lowering kit on it 10 years ago 2 1/2 drop front and 4" rear springs, added the 20's and they have new tires and shocks on 4 corners. I just replaced the cluster due to fricken guage issues so they are all great now and it's got a Kenwood double din deck with a backup camera. It's not perfect but it's pretty nice and someone else can take care of the other items, I'm done with it but will miss it, it's been great for 21 years but I bought a truck and this one needs to find a new home. I should mention the engine has always had synthetic and doesn't lose a drop of oil. I've serviced it since new as I was once an ASE master tech. If there's a for sale section I'll try posting more info there including the original window sticker.
Value??? ( I'm a bad guesser )... But a 2wd is nice. If the life of that truck was in a non-rust state, you should get a fair price, since new Yukons are in the $70,000 + range, and people love these things. ( Check the silly websites estimating the 'used car values' as a guide ( since potential buyers will do the same searches )

Gnarley

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Value??? ( I'm a bad guesser )... But a 2wd is nice. If the life of that truck was in a non-rust state, you should get a fair price, since new Yukons are in the $70,000 + range, and people love these things. ( Check the silly websites estimating the 'used car values' as a guide ( since potential buyers will do the same searches )
Absolutely no rust, it's in California. I wouldn't hesitate to drive it to Newfoundland, Canada. If cared for it should easily allow for another 150,000 miles. I read where this is one of the good years to have, something about the 5.3 ls is better in the 03-04 models.

mountie

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Absolutely no rust, it's in California. I wouldn't hesitate to drive it to Newfoundland, Canada. If cared for it should easily allow for another 150,000 miles. I read where this is one of the good years to have, something about the 5.3 ls is better in the 03-04 models.
5.3 through 2006... ( Mine's an '05 & has been perfect with 175,000.

( N.Calif or S. Calif ? ) ... I have friends in both areas that may be interested.

Last edited:

2591tdj

Full Access Member
Reaction score
5.3 through 2006... ( Mine's an '05 & has been perfect with 175,000.

( N.Calif or S. Calif ? ) ... I have friends in both areas that may be interested.
A local seller had a 2003 Z71 Tahoe for sale on FB for $6k, then $3,500 then for free. It had $275,000 and looked good in the photos. I didn’t have a place to store it I would have picked it up for spare parts. Located in the rust free South.

My 2005 Z71 has about 200k. It’s been almost problem free for 19 years and still runs and drives great and has zero rust. Could use a new paint job. Needs front seats recovered, DIC display repaired, OEM stereo receiver replaced and a rear window regulator replaced.

Marty_S

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Hello I am in the process of looking for a car and found one that looks good and has had alot of work done to it. My question is should i see that as a good thing or bad thing. Below is all the things that have been done. The car has about 100k and is a 2003. Just curious if its something i should consider or move on. Thanks in advance

Things that have been done.
Radiator replaced and clean coolant
New air filter
New crank sensor
All new spark plugs and wires
New rotor cap
Fresh oil and filter
Oil pan gasket replaced
Fresh transmission fluid and filter
Transmission oil pan gasket replaced

also mentioned one issue
After the crank sensor was replaced mechanic showed it taking an extra crank on cold start, believed to be the fuel draining back into the tank slowly by the
check valve
I bought an 03 Yukon Denali with 175K on it and it has been pretty good for age/miles. Living on a ranch means dirt and gravel roads, some with ground squirrel holes. I hit one the other day doing about 20mph and the bonging started. The errors point to Stability Control and ABS errors. All of the above look like fairly normal maintenance except the oil and tranny pan. Those look like finding a rock or something while off road driving. A bouncing piece of metal at 65mph could dent one or both pans also. You might want to get another mechanic opinion but one crank more may be a non-issue with a 20+ year old vehicle. I'm not familiar with crank sensor and possible issues. A different mechanic with the same answer would reinforce the first opinion or it may have an adjustment that was not done correctly. As long as maintenance is performed these gas guzzling large vehicles should make 200k with some hitting 300k.

mountie

Supporting Member
Reaction score
What state is this in? I'm in Colorado and am looking at a 04 Yukon with 273,000 for $3900.

Side note: Would any of you guys buy one with 273K on it? Lots of service records, things were replaced as needed. No visible leaks from looking under it. Pretty clean. That mileage kind of scares me. It ran really smooth and drove nice.
I can bet, as you drive on the road, ..some of those 'older' Tahoes & Yukons have as much mileage, and still ...on the road....

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Budzy24