10Lxx vs 8Lxx vs 6Lxx Replacement for 4L65

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Joseph Garcia

Supporting Member
Reaction score
As folks above have stated, anything is possible, if you are willing to throw enough money at it, but it would be a real PIA to do this. IMO, you are much better off getting a built 4L60-E transmission or give GearStar a call and discuss options with them.

OP
OP
S33k3r

S33k3r

Full Access Member
Reaction score
There are guys dumping more than 600hp through a well built 60E. What specifically are you looking for? Just more gears?
The transmission has to be rebuilt, for sure. I have a 2500HD with an Allison 6 speed, and it is SO much smoother than anything else I own. So I was thinking a later 6/8/10 speed would both be smoother and hold more power. And if I have to spend a bit extra for the privilege, it is currently in budget.

This explains why the 10 speed is desirable:

6L80 to 10L90 swap? Seeking insight on a 10 speed transmission upgrade

Also, looks like there has been some luck mating a 6L80E to an LS engine:

4l60 to 6l80 swap
6l80e swap help <--Corvette Forum
TCM2650 MECHATRONIC TRANSMISSION CONTROLLER <-- Standalone controller for 6L80/6L90

Last edited:

drdave81

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It was already mated to LS engines. 6L80E was in the 07 and up stuff, which were all LS based engines. Yes you CAN make it work, but not with what you currently have in a GMT800. You will need custom work to do it. It's not a simple swap, and certain things may not work as they should anymore.
Can it be done? Absolutely.
Is it easy? No.
Is it time consuming and expensive? Yes.

I get why people would rather have one over a 4L60E, but most just don't want the headache and dig that deep in their pockets for it. It's not worth it for most people. For you, it may be worth it. But know, it's not easy or cheap, or there would be all kinds of people doing it already. It's not like swapping a 5.3 to a 6.0. You're trying to swap something in that was never built in that generation vehicle and has a totally different wiring architecture and communication system. It's gonna cost you something to do it.
Looks like you're doing the research, so you'll probably learn more than most of us know on it, because we decided after a bit of reading (myself included), it's not worth it to us to do.

adventurenali92

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I’d be curious to see if it’s doable and see a process for it…. For “research” of course. But with maybe a more serious ultimate goal…..

ivin74

05 NBS Nali
Reaction score
I have a 4L65e -- on the 2004 Escalade ESV -- that needs to be refurbished/replaced. However, I've been a bit spoiled by the smoothness of the Alison in my 2007 Silverado. Which leads me to ask: Is there anyone that can recommend a 6, 8, or 10 spd upgrade for the 4L65?

There's a company in Houston that is doing the 10L80/90, but for the GMT900+ platforms -- not the GMT800.

Thanks for any help.
Get you a 4L80, those tranys are bulletproof.

strutaeng

Full Access Member
Reaction score
@S33k3r is it a number of gears priority or smoothness priority? Both? Durability a concern?

The reason why the 4L65e-family is not as smooth as the other transmissions is because of that band used for the shifting; it's just not the smoothest shifting transmission AFAIK. None of the other transmissions in the discussion use a band (for forwards shifts, at least): Not the 4L80e, Allison 1000 5/6 speed, 6L80/90, and I'm very certain the 8L and 10L don't either. They all use clutch-to-clutch forward shifting. The 6LXX have that Ravigneaux gearset design from the ZF-based transmissions, but still no band. I really don't know anything about the latest 2 transmission generations TBH.

I'd say steer clear of anything 8L, due to all the issues. 10Ls "seems" to be doing "fair" on the GMs better than the Fords, which is kinda ironic because they are a Ford design and Fords seemed to be having more issues. Strange indeed.

I would vote for getting a good builder to rebuild your transmission and keep on truckin'. Use that money on something else.

If you really want more gears, get a GMT900+.

What about GearVendors? Is that an option?

Last edited:

okfoz

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My 2007 Tahoe has the 4 Speed transmission. Honestly, from what I have heard it is a better, more reliable transmission than the 6, 8, or 10 speeds.

acesttz

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Several years ago I talked to the guys at True Blue Motorsports about doing this in my 2007. They make a kit to do this. I did not end up doing this conversion because I ran across a deal on a 2013.

OP
OP
S33k3r

S33k3r

Full Access Member
Reaction score
@S33k3r is it a number of gears priority or smoothness priority? Both? Durability a concern?

The reason why the 4L65e-family is not as smooth as the other transmissions is because of that band used for the shifting; it's just not the smoothest shifting transmission AFAIK. None of the other transmissions in the discussion use a band (for forwards shifts, at least): Not the 4L80e, Allison 1000 5/6 speed, 6L80/90, and I'm very certain the 8L and 10L don't either. They all use clutch-to-clutch forward shifting. The 6LXX have that Ravigneaux gearset design from the ZF-based transmissions, but still no band. I really don't know anything about the latest 2 transmission generations TBH.

I'd say steer clear of anything 8L, due to all the issues. 10Ls "seems" to be doing "fair" on the GMs better than the Fords, which is kinda ironic because they are a Ford design and Fords seemed to be having more issues. Strange indeed.

I would vote for getting a good builder to rebuild your transmission and keep on truckin'. Use that money on something else.

If you really want more gears, get a GMT900+.

What about GearVendors? Is that an option?
Ha! This really helped, thanks.

OP
OP
S33k3r

S33k3r

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've pulled the trigger on a 4L65E rebuild. It's going to be a little beefier than stock, but not by much. The next level up was a $900 increase... I suggested to my builder that the $900 wasn't in my budget and upgrading me for free was likely not conducive to paying his bills and he agreed... :) While he's in there... He's replacing my rear main seal, and I am waiting on an estimate to replace the pan gasket. You have to pull the transmission and transfer case for both repairs...

Now, firstly, I want to thank everyone that responded, especially @strutaeng for mentioning gearvendors, @acesttz for mentioning True Blue Motorsports, and @drdave81 and @strutaeng for mentioning performancetrucks.net. That said, I appreciate everyone throwing the brakes on to help prevent me from doing something stupid. But it is frustrating to ask for information and simply told it is a bad idea. It is much *less* frustrating for people to offer up information where people have considered/tried to do it and gave up or failed. To that end, I'm adding what I found in case anyone else tries to look into this, so they will know what they are up against:

***** ***** ***** ***** ***** ***** ***** ***** ***** ***** ***** ***** ***** ***** ***** ***** ***** ***** ***** *****
The 6Lxx transmission were different than to 4Lxx transmissions in that the transmission controls were actually built into the 6Lxx transmissions. That meant that using a standalone transmission controller was almost impossible, because it would still need to talk to the TCM *in* the 6Lxx.

The 8Lxx and 10Lxx were problematic -- as replacements for the 4Lxx -- because they, too, had their own, separate transmission control modules (TCM). This mean R&D had to be invested in deciphering how their TCM's worked so there could be translation between the year models for which they were made, and the year models for which the 4Lxx were made. As of this update, there is a company out of Houston, Texas that will do the conversion for GMT900s, but not the GMT800s. There was a commentator on the installer's FB page saying the GMT800s were for the "poors" or close enough. So I suspect these guys are never going to build a standalone controller for the GMT800s.

Ultimately, as others have said, anything is possible if you spend enough time and money. But my time was in short supply this go-around, even though I did have *some* coin to spend. So I've got a built 4L65E, or will have in a couple of days.
***** ***** ***** ***** ***** ***** ***** ***** ***** ***** ***** ***** ***** ***** ***** ***** ***** ***** ***** *****