14 tahoe 4x4 poor fuel mileage help

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

dirtymax6610

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I purchased a 2014 Tahoe 4x4 with the 5.3 and 6l80 transmission. Tahoe has 126k miles on it. Turned out that the engine was bad and so was the transmission. Did a complete rebuild on engine and also the transmission. With the engine had the heads redone at machine shop, full valve job and pac beehive springs. Using trunion kit from Texas speed. Engine was honed out, stock crank and rods. Using a set of silvolite pistons and a Texas speed stage 2 truck cam. The timing chain, lifters, oil pump, and remaining parts were all part of texas speed kit. Engine was dod deleted and vvt deleted . Intake is stock and resusing the stock injectors. New stock replacement throttle body, Texas speed 10mm wires, stock coils, e3 spark plugs and a set of dougs short tube headers. Trans was a stock rebuild but did the thermostat delete, bypass and a billet converter. With body off of Tahoe put in a new gm fuel pump, full new factory exhaust including cats and 02 sensors. Full front end rebuild including rack and pinion. Then tahoe was tuned by a local tuner. Has 22" snowflakes with 33"s . Engine was assembled by local machine shop as well. Stock 3.42 gear ratio.

Now to the point of all of this. This was supposed to be a good daily driver for the wife. When i was picking out the cam and other stuff from Texas speed i talked with there tech support on picking out my parts. There guy said they have done many of these builds with the stage 2 truck cam and they average around 23 miles per gallon. Since this build have put about 7 thousand miles on it and the best average fuel mileage is about 12.5 to the gallon. My question is am I not going to get the fuel mileage with this set up? Is there something im over looking that i need to change or is it simply a tuning issue. Im really at a loss with this thing. Her old 2007 Tahoe with the 5.3 and 4l60 with almost 400k on it got 16 to the gallon. I figured this would get better mileage period with just moving up to the 6 speed transmission. Any help or suggestions are greatly appreciated.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dirtymax6610