2004 6.0 NV4500 Tahoe

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
Dantheman1540

Dantheman1540

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That's not so much oil but grease I think. I know I over greased the crap out of them but I don't think that hurt them, maybe I'm wrong.

I have seen where oil eats rubber and even poly and I've heard you need marine synthetic grease for poly which this was just Mobile one full synthetic.

George B

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
That's not so much oil but grease I think. I know I over greased the crap out of them but I don't think that hurt them, maybe I'm wrong.

I have seen where oil eats rubber and even poly and I've heard you need marine synthetic grease for poly which this was just Mobile one full synthetic.
It all depends on the compounds. Maybe they are just tore up from use.

OP
OP
Dantheman1540

Dantheman1540

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Leverage is a wonderful thing, yeah?!
It really is! It's so dumb i remember telling myself when I first did the axleswap and saw the angles that it looked not good but, I didn't have the yoke problem until I did some other mods and then forgot about those brackets. Dumb me oh well glad it's fixed, thank you for the help :cheers:
It all depends on the compounds. Maybe they are just tore up from use.

Very possible, especially since they were at bad angles and had a lot of motion in them.

Another good news is the truck seems much more predictable now. It's hard to explain but even after the alignment it still had some odd movement. Basically when I would accelerate it would want to turn one way or the other and when I would let off the throttle it would start to point a different direction again. I can only assume it had something to do with the axle rotating so much. It seems to be completely gone now and it feels sportier than ever! I have the confidence to lay into corners with the throttle pinned now!

OP
OP
Dantheman1540

Dantheman1540

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Seriously in love with the improvements proper LCA angles have made. I've long been complaining that the truck is difficult to get to break the tires loose. I personally thought the 285s coupled with the G80 and very "squatty" suspension was what made it so traction happy but I think I was wrong.

There used to be this bog that happened when I would stomp it in 1st or 2nd from a slow roll. Like the suspension or drivetrain would get suddenly heavy and difficult to move. It made it so that even on the 1-2 shift it felt lazy for a split second and wouldnt even scratch the tires in the rain! For a long time I thought it was tune related or maybe some weird G80 characteristic but now that feeling is gone and its lively again!

It's been raining all day and I pulled out onto a main road in 1st gear and stomped the throttle like a roach in the kitchen. The tires broke loose immediately and so I banged into second which also broke the tires loose and began to kick the rear out! It's like I have a hot rod again and I'm really pumped because for a long time I was considering sissy skinny highway tires just so I could break traction and have some fun in this thing.

Rocket Man

Mark
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Apparently my phone did save a pic of the torn bushings. Looks like garbage and I suppose I may have over greased them a tad. View attachment 305355
Crap, I have those boxed LCA’s on mine. But last time I looked, the bushings still look new. What did you do to those? Maybe your geometry was taking it out on them?

OP
OP
Dantheman1540

Dantheman1540

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Crap, I have those boxed LCA’s on mine. But last time I looked, the bushings still look new. What did you do to those? Maybe your geometry was taking it out on them?
Very possible it was a geometry problem since they likely saw considerably more movement than usual. It's just that outer lip so I'm not overly concerned more disappointed really.
id blame it on driver error
Highly likely

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Seriously in love with the improvements proper LCA angles have made. I've long been complaining that the truck is difficult to get to break the tires loose. I personally thought the 285s coupled with the G80 and very "squatty" suspension was what made it so traction happy but I think I was wrong.

There used to be this bog that happened when I would stomp it in 1st or 2nd from a slow roll. Like the suspension or drivetrain would get suddenly heavy and difficult to move. It made it so that even on the 1-2 shift it felt lazy for a split second and wouldnt even scratch the tires in the rain! For a long time I thought it was tune related or maybe some weird G80 characteristic but now that feeling is gone and its lively again!

It's been raining all day and I pulled out onto a main road in 1st gear and stomped the throttle like a roach in the kitchen. The tires broke loose immediately and so I banged into second which also broke the tires loose and began to kick the rear out! It's like I have a hot rod again and I'm really pumped because for a long time I was considering sissy skinny highway tires just so I could break traction and have some fun in this thing.

A lot of your power was being absorbed by the rear's rotation. You lose enough as it is transferring the power from one axis to the other in the rear end. I can't believe you still have functional U-joints on the pinion end.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ScottLady