2004 6.0 NV4500 Tahoe

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Rocket Man

Mark
Supporting Member
Reaction score
They could be yours for a decent price.
Yeah no. I gotta spend a bunch of money trying to fix a transmission and it looks like I need to buy HP Tuners so I can see wtf is going on since apparently Blackbear can't see anything wrong, just "normal shifting"...i sent Randy a PM buy maybe you know- can I use HPT to do some slight modifications to the tune I already have that's written with EFI Live? Or do I need to install the stock tune and start over, because I'm not ready to do that extensive of stuff right away.

OP
OP
Dantheman1540

Dantheman1540

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah no. I gotta spend a bunch of money trying to fix a transmission and it looks like I need to buy HP Tuners so I can see wtf is going on since apparently Blackbear can't see anything wrong, just "normal shifting"...i sent Randy a PM buy maybe you know- can I use HPT to do some slight modifications to the tune I already have that's written with EFI Live? Or do I need to install the stock tune and start over, because I'm not ready to do that extensive of stuff right away.

Don't 100% quote me on it but I started with BBP on my Silverado and then I switched to HPT. Basically, I pulled the existing BBP tune out of the ECU using HPT and it should automatically convert it to an HPT file since that's the device you are using to download the data. Then I sent the tune to Atomic who then sent me a revision based on the BBP tune.

I double-checked my memory and it looks like I saved a file named "BBP Tune File" on the date it shows I activated my HPT device and it's in HPT format so I can still open it up and make changes. So I'm 99% sure you will be good to go, let me tell you HPT is much more friendly to use as an investigative tool than EFIlive. I just opened an EFILive file and thought "WTF is this lame looking crap" although I still look at HPT and nearly get lost in the sauce.

OP
OP
Dantheman1540

Dantheman1540

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Also @Rocket Man theres a tab called "Vehicle controls & special functions" I can't send you a screenshot of it now because its only available when connected to an ECU but, it will allow you to manually pick gears, cycle fans, selenoids, all sorts of cool helpful stuff.

OP
OP
Dantheman1540

Dantheman1540

Full Access Member
Reaction score
All right it looks like I’ll be joining the HPT family. Still waiting to hear from @randeez, I sent him a PM asking the same thing.

Wish you were closer would be fun to do some troubleshooting. Randy is much smarter at HPT than me but if you need any help let me know I always enjoy looking at different tunes. I'm curious to see what the timing table looks like on that thing.

randeez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
yea BBT doesnt lock the tunes i dont think. you would just plug in the hpt and "Read entire", save that as your base tune - dont ever modify it incase you mess something up you can revert back to it. so a save as - change file name (i name them by date and a what i changed - ie, "7-26-spark" or something like that)

dan brings up a good point with the special functions you may be able to cycle each solenoid individually - ive just never really had a need to mess with it. some of the functions are kind of clunky - seems to just be part of the software, ill notice trying to (for example) change idle spark running. i'll click to control it...pop it down a couple degrees 3,4 whatever nothing happens...i'll hit 5 and it drops 5 degrees all at once for whateverass reason.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Dantheman1540

Dantheman1540

Full Access Member
Reaction score
ive taught you everything i know

Do you know what I just learned? That there's a new MPVI coming out. Apparently they typically only rush out a new device when someone hacks the current VIN algorithm, meaning I should have kept my gen 1 and found the hacker and had free credits forever! Shoulda, coulda, woulda, but didn't.

Anyway all this HPT talk last night got me jonesing to data log and get back on a few issues I'm still having.

1: Stalling at low speeds. For example, I started the truck leaving twisty treat Sunday, and as I backed up and then pushed in the clutch to change direction the truck stalled. It seems to happen a lot on backing up in parking lots but will also do it when coming to a stop in traffic sometimes.

I think the main issue is that I pulled too much throttle ******* out down low when I was trying to cure the rev flare.

2: Corrections to VE since exhaust upgrade. I'm still seeing the truck run fairly lean in a wide range of cells since I did the 4" exhaust I think it just needs some minor corrections.

3: Weird ass lean ***** mode the truck still drops into sometimes. For example, yesterday leaving Sams Club I backed out of my spot and the truck stalled so I started it back and carried on. However, after I stalled it the truck seemed to go into some really strange lean mode that I've seen before. Basically, it starts to run 16afr, the AC kicks off and will not come back on, it surges around idle almost as if it's stalling but will try to catch itself, and the truck is very likely to stall repeatedly when coming to stops.

No idea wtf this is or how to fix it but after dropping stuff off at the shop and letting the truck sit for about 20minutes then starting it back up it was back to normal. This has been going on for a long time and I'm totally lost at solving it. Of course, it almost always happens when I don't have my laptop handy.

Here is a pic of how much error the VE table is still seeing since the exhaust.

Attachments

• lean.PNG
    lean.PNG
    112.9 KB · Views: 1

pwtr02ss

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Do you know what I just learned? That there's a new MPVI coming out. Apparently they typically only rush out a new device when someone hacks the current VIN algorithm, meaning I should have kept my gen 1 and found the hacker and had free credits forever! Shoulda, coulda, woulda, but didn't.

Anyway all this HPT talk last night got me jonesing to data log and get back on a few issues I'm still having.

1: Stalling at low speeds. For example, I started the truck leaving twisty treat Sunday, and as I backed up and then pushed in the clutch to change direction the truck stalled. It seems to happen a lot on backing up in parking lots but will also do it when coming to a stop in traffic sometimes.

I think the main issue is that I pulled too much throttle ******* out down low when I was trying to cure the rev flare.

2: Corrections to VE since exhaust upgrade. I'm still seeing the truck run fairly lean in a wide range of cells since I did the 4" exhaust I think it just needs some minor corrections.

3: Weird ass lean ***** mode the truck still drops into sometimes. For example, yesterday leaving Sams Club I backed out of my spot and the truck stalled so I started it back and carried on. However, after I stalled it the truck seemed to go into some really strange lean mode that I've seen before. Basically, it starts to run 16afr, the AC kicks off and will not come back on, it surges around idle almost as if it's stalling but will try to catch itself, and the truck is very likely to stall repeatedly when coming to stops.

No idea wtf this is or how to fix it but after dropping stuff off at the shop and letting the truck sit for about 20minutes then starting it back up it was back to normal. This has been going on for a long time and I'm totally lost at solving it. Of course, it almost always happens when I don't have my laptop handy.

Here is a pic of how much error the VE table is still seeing since the exhaust.
Sooo...more about this free credits forever with gen 1 interface...????? I'm OG with gen 1:)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Howler71

Latest posts