2004 Tahoe Parasitic Battery Drain

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Flicka

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I have a 2004 Tahoe (2WD/LT) and have an issue with my battery dying pretty quickly.

I replaced the battery about 8 weeks ago as it went bad. At the end of last week the battery died several times and required a jump. The battery was so low it had to find idle again and radio settings were lost.

I confirmed the battery, alternator and starter are good. I hooked my multi-meter up in series to the battery and started pulling fuses one by one under the hood until I found the circuit that what was draining the battery. The drain dropped dramatically when I pulled the radio fuse. I left the fuse out this week and it has started all week. Even let it sit for more than 24 hours and it started right up.

Is there anything else on the circuit with the radio? Anyone else have this kind of issue due to their radio? If it is just the radio on the circuit then there must be something wrong internally with the radio but not sure what it would be.

I would appreciate any help.

Dustinh

Reaction score
Mine is doing the same thing. Need to figure it out asap

1999hoe

aka HOVERHOE
Reaction score
Look and clean the contacts to the starter my 96 tahoe had same issue and it was an issue with the starter wires clean em up reattach and look at any ground wires and clean them also

Brian Wilson

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Is it stock radio? Someone could have wired aftermarket radio wrong

OP
OP
F

Flicka

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Is it stock radio? Someone could have wired aftermarket radio wrong

It is a stock radio. I am considering taking the radio to an electronic repair shop to test all internal components. I just am not sure if they would know what to look for in a car radio

mizzouguy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have the stock radio on mine, along with an aftermarket amp, and you have to be careful when you choose a amp remote wire. The radio and security system work together so every time a door is opened or the fob is used the radio powers up. But if you dont have an amp you wouldnt have that problem.

OP
OP
F

Flicka

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I have the stock radio on mine, along with an aftermarket amp, and you have to be careful when you choose a amp remote wire. The radio and security system work together so every time a door is opened or the fob is used the radio powers up. But if you dont have an amp you wouldnt have that problem.

I do not have an aftermarket amp but at one point the previous owner had a security device that could kee the car from starting. It was disabled years ago. Do you have a wiring diagram for how the security and radio work together?

retiredsparky

Full Access Member
Reaction score
There are other loads on that circuit besides the radio. Pull the radio, put the fuse back in and see if the vehicle still starts normally after overnight.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Burgy