2007 GMC Yukon, needs help! Truck shuts off

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

damtrini

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Hi there, I’m totally frustrated dealing with my 2007 GMC Yukon (47,000 miles), hoping someone here can point me in the right direction. About a month ago, normal driving, the truck just shut off, no check engine light. If I try to start the truck back, nothing happens, engine does not crank over. Dash board lights turn ‘on’ when trying to start, but that’s about it. If I wait about 5 mins, the truck starts back up fine. I took the truck to the dealership, they said it’s the ‘throttle body’ needs replacing. After spending $725 to replace the throttle body, same problem! Now the dealership says it’s the fuse box. Now looking at another cost of over $600 to have that replaced. The truck has no stored codes, at least that’s what the dealership says. Has anyone ever encountered this problem? Any help would be GREATLY appreciated!

Peaches

Full Access Member
Reaction score
After your fuse box, they'll want to replace both battery cables. Congratulations, you are part of the Electrical Gremlin Club! Welcome!

When you lose all power, does it reset the clock? Can you use your key fob? Does it ever power cycle (doors unlock, lights flash, doors relock) while driving? Does your traction control/Stabilitrack flash on or off while driving? How old is your battery?

Your throttle body didn't need to be swapped, it was fine. Your battery cables are probably good, too. Somewhere in there you have a short and good ******* luck getting a tech to find it. Call GM get a rep and have them deal with the dealership for you, at the very least the electrical issues that some of us have, will be documented somewhere.

Goodinblack

I Like Tacos
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You should set a code, disconnect one of the sensors and have the check engine light come on........

Then put it put in and next time it does it check and see if the code got completely erased from the memory....

You have a scanner? Need to get your own.....

OP
OP
D

damtrini

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Thanks for the response guys. Honestly I cant remember if the clock resets when the problem occurs, its been too long dealing with this issue. One thing I did notice, the truck sat in my driveway for about 2 weeks, then the battery went dead. I hooked up one of those fancy chargers that 'conditions' the battery, and it reported a 'bad cell'.. The battery doesn't hold a charge for more than a day now. To be honest, I didn't even think a faulty battery could have this effect? Being unemployed and feeling like your getting jerked around at the dealership, puts a sick feeling in my stomach........

---------- Post added at 07:19 AM ---------- Previous post was at 07:12 AM ----------

After your fuse box, they'll want to replace both battery cables. Congratulations, you are part of the Electrical Gremlin Club! Welcome!

When you lose all power, does it reset the clock? Can you use your key fob? Does it ever power cycle (doors unlock, lights flash, doors relock) while driving? Does your traction control/Stabilitrack flash on or off while driving? How old is your battery?

Your throttle body didn't need to be swapped, it was fine. Your battery cables are probably good, too. Somewhere in there you have a short and good ******* luck getting a tech to find it. Call GM get a rep and have them deal with the dealership for you, at the very least the electrical issues that some of us have, will be documented somewhere.

When you lose all power, does it reset the clock?
Damtrini- to be honest I never paid attention to the clock

Can you use your key fob?
damtrini- The key doesn't do anything, that's the first thing I tried.

Does it ever power cycle (doors unlock, lights flash, doors relock) while driving?
Damtrini- Yes, just before the truck shuts off, it does a power cycle.

Does your traction control/Stabilitrack flash on or off while driving?
damtrini- the only time the Stability track light flashes, is just before the truck shuts off.

How old is your battery?
Damtrini- The battery is the original, in fact, since the problem began, the battery no longer holds a charge. I connected a battery charger and it reported a 'bad cell'. Honestly I didn't think a bad battery could cause this effect?

Thank You for your response. Will post my dealership findings later on today.

Peaches

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It's possible the battery could be it. However, mine did ALL of that (and more) with a BRAND NEW battery. Any time you have a battery or alternator going out, it's going to make your truck do random shit electrical wise.

Also, I don't know where you're located, but do you ever notice it doing it in hotter weather? The bulk of my issues cropped up as the heat went up. When it hit 114 shit went to hell real fast.

I would get a new battery and install it at home. Don't mess with the dealer over that. See what happens after a new battery is installed. The factory batteries are shit for starters, second, there are so many electrical processes running on your truck that if your battery is slightly weak, it's going to kill it. Also, you said it had sat for 2 weeks, a weak battery or bad cell is going to give you problems if it sits for that long. The fact that you have a '07 running on the factory battery and it even still works, is amazing. I'd wait on the fuse box, start with the battery and go from there.

Purportedly my truck never threw codes either, only one or two at a time and it was always a communication code, never anything relevant.

Also, if they want $700 to replace a fuse box, that's slightly high (contingent on which one). Considering the quote I got for mine was $12 + labor.

Donovan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My truck had a similar problem. I replaced the battery, it went away. Then a few weeks later it came back. I had the alternator checked on the truck 3 times. Then I pulled the alternator off and had it checked. Every time the alternator checked out ok. Then the truck took a dump this Sunday, pulled the alternator off took it in and it failed. Replaced it and now everything is cool again.

pinkpalmetto80

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
That happened to me once, we replaced the battery and it didn't happen again, I no longer have the vehicle, but stay in contact with who bought it from me and he hasn;t had any issues. The bad thing is, it's hard to find an honest mechanic. Shit I'm a girl and when I go in they try and get over on me and tell me I need things that I KNOW I don't.

GM Customer Service

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the response guys. Honestly I cant remember if the clock resets when the problem occurs, its been too long dealing with this issue. One thing I did notice, the truck sat in my driveway for about 2 weeks, then the battery went dead. I hooked up one of those fancy chargers that 'conditions' the battery, and it reported a 'bad cell'.. The battery doesn't hold a charge for more than a day now. To be honest, I didn't even think a faulty battery could have this effect? Being unemployed and feeling like your getting jerked around at the dealership, puts a sick feeling in my stomach........

---------- Post added at 07:19 AM ---------- Previous post was at 07:12 AM ----------

When you lose all power, does it reset the clock?
Damtrini- to be honest I never paid attention to the clock

Can you use your key fob?
damtrini- The key doesn't do anything, that's the first thing I tried.

Does it ever power cycle (doors unlock, lights flash, doors relock) while driving?
Damtrini- Yes, just before the truck shuts off, it does a power cycle.

Does your traction control/Stabilitrack flash on or off while driving?
damtrini- the only time the Stability track light flashes, is just before the truck shuts off.

How old is your battery?
Damtrini- The battery is the original, in fact, since the problem began, the battery no longer holds a charge. I connected a battery charger and it reported a 'bad cell'. Honestly I didn't think a bad battery could cause this effect?

Thank You for your response. Will post my dealership findings later on today.

damtrini,

I'm sorry you are experiencing this issue with your vehicle. Please keep us posted of the results of your dealer visit.

If you have additional questions or concerns, please feel free to contact me privately.

Louis
GM Customer Service

OP
OP
D

damtrini

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Thank you all for your response!

Just wanted to post an update. As of today, truck is still at GM's service center. Just to recap the 'service center' repairs to date.. First I was told the reason my truck keeps shutting off was due to a bad throttle body, I paid over $700 to have it replaced, it didn't resolve the issue. Last week Monday I was told its the fuse box, at a cost of over $700, it was replaced, same issue!
Friday I was told the problem is now the PCM. At that point I got pissed, I contacted GM, and told them I'm NOT going to pay for the fuse box..
Since then I've been going back an forth with GM. The service manager at the dealership says 'part' of the problem was the fuse box, so they intend on charging me for that.. Talk about getting ripped off!
My truck is still at the dealership service center. I'm at my wits end with GM's service. No idea what's going to happen next... I'm in NY Long Island, my truck is at Chevrolet of Huntington...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoeR4065