2010 Burb Misfire

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
solli5pack

solli5pack

Full Access Member
Reaction score
https://www.summitracing.com/parts/nal-12638427 = I have this cam.
I love it.

It's the stock 6.2 cam, has tons of low end. :driver:

ETA: Reviews state it "might" require a valve spring upgrade, so you will want to verify that the valve lift is compatable.
I think it is with the stock 699 heads... but again verify. :)

And I used 12689035 my first go around.
Lame cam, I lost power from the stock DOD camshaft.
Run away.
I dont mind some power loss if it's going to run well. I rarely tow with it and definitely don't race with it. I usually drive like an 80 yr old

j91z28d1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So the question now is do I put it in or keep my 170,000 mile original one which has never given me a problem whatsoever. I've been messing with both my trucks so much lately I honestly feel I could pull the intake in like 20 minutes so if it does go bad it's not the end of the world.

you can actually get to it without the pulling the intake. I did the first time cause figured it would be easier and new. gaskets were cheap and high mileage. the 2nd time, I just did it with the intake on. it's a hassle but doable. one guy took that black hook looking brace off the back of the driver's side head, said it made it much eaiser to get to.

maybe leave that off, leave the 170k one in there, when it fails put the new one and and see what it how long it lasts. it's not going to hurt anything, it just can be scary if you think you have no oil pressure because you just put a new sensor in it. just remember it could be the sensor, or it could be real haha.

or vice versa. put the new one in and and keep the old on the shelf incase.

j91z28d1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
https://www.summitracing.com/parts/nal-12638427 = I have this cam.
I love it.

It's the stock 6.2 cam, has tons of low end. :driver:

ETA: Reviews state it "might" require a valve spring upgrade, so you will want to verify that the valve lift is compatable.
I think it is with the stock 699 heads... but again verify. :)

And I used 12689035 my first go around.
Lame cam, I lost power from the stock DOD camshaft.
Run away.

thats interesting first hand experience. usually cams just kinda move power bands around. did you notice any better tq, say off idle and under 2k?

i get a lot of people don't drive that way, but honestly if mine sees 3k rpm it's probably with my wife driving, I just cruise around with it letting it keep the rpms around 2k or less.

Just Fishing

Can't fix stupid
Reaction score
thats interesting first hand experience. usually cams just kinda move power bands around. did you notice any better tq, say off idle and under 2k?

i get a lot of people don't drive that way, but honestly if mine sees 3k rpm it's probably with my wife driving, I just cruise around with it letting it keep the rpms around 2k or less.

To be quite honest, I ran the small cam when I tried to save my 5.3, then a good deal came along on a brand-new gm 6.0 bare block.
My experience with the small cam in the 5.3 is that it took away too much power.
Very noticeable, but it is a "Safe" option, and it ran very smoothly with it.

Higher RPM felt good, but I wasn't happy with how it cruised and how it accelerated.
I noticed it had to down shift more often...

Now moving to the larger cam and the 6.0 build was a different story, I also moved to the AFR mongoose heads due to some parts availability issues and my own unwilling to compromise. :secret:

With that I also upped the rocker arm ratio to make use of the fancy heads + the fancy heads stated they required full roller rockers... :chair:
I have about .600 total valve lift right now.

With that 6.0 build, it ran fine with the stock tune and the larger camshaft.
but in the end, I ended up copying over the MAF fueling from a 6.0 to resolve some lean issues over the winter.

I suspect you wouldn't have that issue with the 5.3 stock tune, but as noted by @swathdiver you will need to go with a different valve spring to accommodate the extra lift.

With my current setup, I also installed a new converter it's a little looser than the stock, but not by much.

Low rpm cruising = :boobs:
I pretty much idle everywhere.

Much of that may be due to the displacement change, but I did gain a few miles per gallon going up the canyon to visit some family.
Never needed to downshift, where before I was downshifting often with the 5.3 setup.

So, my experience isn't a perfect match, but I will warn you about that small camshaft in the 5.3.

I nearly ran the small camshaft in the 6.0, but then someone on here warned me about it, so I went with the larger camshaft and never looked back.

I'll also note that it might be a good idea to do your valve seals while the heads are off.
While you have the springs off, maybe a good time to upgrade to a nice behive spring to open the options up.
It would be a good idea to do some re-seating of the valves to make sure it idles perfectly (while you're in there and stuff).

Or drop the heads off with your local machine shop and have them do the work, new seals, re-seat, general look over the heads, and maybe a valve spring upgrade.

Or just take the easy way out and get a nice "Stock" like camshaft, just think twice about that tiny turd. ;)

OP
OP
solli5pack

solli5pack

Full Access Member
Reaction score
To be quite honest, I ran the small cam when I tried to save my 5.3, then a good deal came along on a brand-new gm 6.0 bare block.
My experience with the small cam in the 5.3 is that it took away too much power.
Very noticeable, but it is a "Safe" option, and it ran very smoothly with it.

Higher RPM felt good, but I wasn't happy with how it cruised and how it accelerated.
I noticed it had to down shift more often...

Now moving to the larger cam and the 6.0 build was a different story, I also moved to the AFR mongoose heads due to some parts availability issues and my own unwilling to compromise. :secret:

With that I also upped the rocker arm ratio to make use of the fancy heads + the fancy heads stated they required full roller rockers... :chair:
I have about .600 total valve lift right now.

With that 6.0 build, it ran fine with the stock tune and the larger camshaft.
but in the end, I ended up copying over the MAF fueling from a 6.0 to resolve some lean issues over the winter.

I suspect you wouldn't have that issue with the 5.3 stock tune, but as noted by @swathdiver you will need to go with a different valve spring to accommodate the extra lift.

With my current setup, I also installed a new converter it's a little looser than the stock, but not by much.

Low rpm cruising = :boobs:
I pretty much idle everywhere.

Much of that may be due to the displacement change, but I did gain a few miles per gallon going up the canyon to visit some family.
Never needed to downshift, where before I was downshifting often with the 5.3 setup.

So, my experience isn't a perfect match, but I will warn you about that small camshaft in the 5.3.

I nearly ran the small camshaft in the 6.0, but then someone on here warned me about it, so I went with the larger camshaft and never looked back.

I'll also note that it might be a good idea to do your valve seals while the heads are off.
While you have the springs off, maybe a good time to upgrade to a nice behive spring to open the options up.
It would be a good idea to do some re-seating of the valves to make sure it idles perfectly (while you're in there and stuff).

Or drop the heads off with your local machine shop and have them do the work, new seals, re-seat, general look over the heads, and maybe a valve spring upgrade.

Or just take the easy way out and get a nice "Stock" like camshaft, just think twice about that tiny turd. ;)
I just picked my heads up from the machine shop today. I think I might have gotten ripped off. He disassembled both heads, replaced valve seals, cleaned up the valves and re installed the stock springs. He also resurfaced the bottoms and cleaned them all up. And he also removed two broken exhaust manifold bolts. $475 for all that. Did I get ripped? As far as the cam I'm committed to it. As I said I drive very mild so I doubt I notice the power loss but I will report back after I drive and give an honest answer. I just want the thing to move, be reliable and maybe a few runs from N.J. to Fla if it seems good after I get it back together.

Geotrash

Dave
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I just picked my heads up from the machine shop today. I think I might have gotten ripped off. He disassembled both heads, replaced valve seals, cleaned up the valves and re installed the stock springs. He also resurfaced the bottoms and cleaned them all up. And he also removed two broken exhaust manifold bolts. $475 for all that. Did I get ripped? As far as the cam I'm committed to it. As I said I drive very mild so I doubt I notice the power loss but I will report back after I drive and give an honest answer. I just want the thing to move, be reliable and maybe a few runs from N.J. to Fla if it seems good after I get it back together.
That seems a reasonable price to me. He likely spent a couple of hours on each head, plus the seals, so that works out to a typical specialty shop labor rate these days.

OP
OP
solli5pack

solli5pack

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That seems a reasonable price to me. He likely spent a couple of hours on each head, plus the seals, so that works out to a typical specialty shop labor rate these days.
Ok. Thanks. I wasn't sure so figured I'd ask. I might need to reuse him when I start digging into my Yukon's misfire.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dapdapdap