2010 Yukon Denali Overheating when Towing

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The truck has ~175k miles on it. The background story is that we have been towing a 4200# dry weight Travel Trailer for about 5 years with minimal issues. At first, the transmission overheated, hitting near 230F on one of our first 'mountain' tows on a 90F day, so I put the trucool 40 in line with the oem aux. cooler, which solved the problem.
Well, we just upgraded to a 6300# T.T. a few weeks ago, and drove it home 2 hrs. or so without issue. This past Thursday evening, we towed about 250mi. to our destination arriving at midnight, again without issue. Yesterday on our return trip however, things changed.

First, it was hot out; 95F or so. We got on the same route we came in on with some rolling hills, and 55mph backroads. I noticed the temp gauge picking up from the 210F mark within the first hour of the trip. The transmission kept below 200F, likely due to the trucool, but the engine continued to climb and fall with the load; hills, speed, traffic, etc. Outside temp was 'measured' by the truck at up to 105F, but I think that was influenced by the engine temp., as the weather app. said it was 95F.

I tried to vary the transmission, going from normal drive, to tow mode, to manual shifting to keep it cool. At first, it seemed like higher rpm (3000rpm) would circulate fluid better, but that didn't work longer term. Basically, the only thing that affected the temp was letting off the gas, and slowing to 45mph going up hills. It would sometimes cool back to the 210F point and stay there until the load picked up again. I could hear the fans running too, so it seems that everything was 'functioning' properly. Fluid levels were all topped up; coolant, Transmission oil, and engine oil. No messages or codes were generated that came up, and I was able to keep the engine below 235F the whole time...I had determined this would be my pull-over and cool off temperature

I'm game to do the conventional coolant purge, thermostat change, oil & tranny fluid change if that's all that's needed. But these are all done on a conservative maintenance schedule. And the truck runs/cools normally at all other times, and with more modest loads, never leaving the 210F mark.

Anybody have any upgrade recommendations? The addition of the trucool was a great change, so in the same vein, I'm thinking a larger, secondary or more efficient radiator recommendation, better or additional fans.

Edit; electric fans only; no clutch/fan on this one.
As Michael, Dave and others have said, the old girl probably just needs some new parts. New OE radiator, new water pump, check the baffling around the radiator to not let air get around the radiator. I replaced mine with new OE baffles but you can use "for sale" sign material or roofing tar paper that don't cost nearly as much.

Old worn out fluids don't shed heat well either. If you tow a lot, change your fluids in half the time of the severe service schedule, that's like 15-20K miles and not 40-50K miles or 100K miles as many are want to do.

The cooling system is most effective with the engine in 4th gear for a 6L80 equipped truck.

OP
OP
Tim907356

Tim907356

Reaction score

Geotrash

Dave
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It’s a Chinese-eBay rad.:
Yeah, no. ;) At least not on either of my rigs. The Denso I installed was made in China, but I'm okay with it because it had to be made to their standards.

mikeyss

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have a 3 core mischmoto (bad spelling), the first one I had leaked but it was an open box special. I bought a brand new one, but I've insulated around it with non conductive material, and it's been great. I have this radiator with a 40k trans cooler in front, and at 100 degrees outside, the engine stays at 190 and the trans only gets to 150. With my tune, the fans run on high speed a lot, but my temps are always good. I have a slightly bored out L9H 6.2 with a TSP VVT-1 cam, and I've never seen temps higher than what I mentioned above.

j91z28d1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have a 3 core mischmoto (bad spelling), the first one I had leaked but it was an open box special. I bought a brand new one, but I've insulated around it with non conductive material, and it's been great. I have this radiator with a 40k trans cooler in front, and at 100 degrees outside, the engine stays at 190 and the trans only gets to 150. With my tune, the fans run on high speed a lot, but my temps are always good. I have a slightly bored out L9H 6.2 with a TSP VVT-1 cam, and I've never seen temps higher than what I mentioned above

Mishimoto is a big name in aftermarket jdm world. I believe they have a good warranty too. I would expect it to be a good radiator, or at least covered if it cracks. but they are like 600$.

upside is lifetime warranty and I do believe them when they say the tranny cooler is much larger inside. so it might save you the hassle of adding a add on tranny cooler if you aren't extreme towing often.

I would probably just get the DENSO thou.

I still personally want to find a cheap deal on a used 2014 and up radiator and fan setup. I have a feeling it's a easy mod and upgrade to brushless fans. but haven't seen one yet, and local pick and pull junkyards here don't seem have that newer Gen yet. if it can be made to work, I'd be all in. I did the c7 corvette brushless fan swap over the brushed fan the c6 comes with and it's night and day in airflow, control and amp draw. everything on the car is just happier. from alternator to ac high side pressures in this 115deg tx summer heat.

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have a 3 core mischmoto (bad spelling), the first one I had leaked but it was an open box special. I bought a brand new one, but I've insulated around it with non conductive material, and it's been great. I have this radiator with a 40k trans cooler in front, and at 100 degrees outside, the engine stays at 190 and the trans only gets to 150. With my tune, the fans run on high speed a lot, but my temps are always good. I have a slightly bored out L9H 6.2 with a TSP VVT-1 cam, and I've never seen temps higher than what I mentioned above.
insulated it with what? and how