2011 Escalade - worth repairing?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Multidriver

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
My daughter and son-in-law have a 2011 Escalade ESV with 180,000 miles on it. New tires and brakes about a year ago. Seems to run well. Shop says it needs:
1. One or more motor mounts
2. Squealing diagnosed as coming from front transfer case; at least change the fluid, may need a rebuild
3. 2 exhaust manifold bolts have backed out, 1 more is starting to back out -- estimated at $1,800 to repair
4. Rear windshield wiper not working - my daughter is the primary driver and considers this a "must have" -- $300

Total estimated repair cost of $4,200 if they just change the front transfer case fluid. Cost goes up if more is required.

It is crucial they have reliable transportation for the entire family. They don't want a car payment. Trade-in is about $5500 and selling retail is about $7500. If they sold it for $7500 and avoid $4000 in repairs, that gives them $11,500 for a replacement vehicle. Most $11k vehicles are in rough shape.

They very much like it, it works very well for their family needs. It is a gas hog, but they like the size and seating.

If they put $4,200 into it, they really need it to go at least another 100,000 miles.

Are there any other issues they can expect to face? The transmission seems fine. The air conditioning seems fine. The body is in good shape, some rust on the rear quarter panels. The right side step no longer automatically retracts and the rear tail gate opens randomly, so they use the switch to turn it off and prevent that from happening.

Thanks!

solli5pack

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Any chance they want to watch a bunch of YouTube and D.I.Y some of the repairs? I would say it's definitely worth repairing but at those miles a lot of small issues are going to start popping up and if they're going to bring it to a shop every time it's gonna add up quick. And that's if your lucky enough to find a fair reasonable mechanic. If it was well maintained engine and trans should hold up but the A.F.M in the engine is a time bomb that you never know when it will blow. But like you said a used reliable car is well over 20 grand these days. So if they're willing and able to do some repairs in the driveway I would say buy a good tool set and keep it!

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
funny thing in the last month I think I have "accidentally" turned on the rear wiper more times than I have used it in my entire life, lol

anyway, it's cheaper to fix it than purchase something else that may need more or unknown issue's
the 100k is entirely possible but not guaranteed
your estimates are quit high, perhaps shop around....... particularly the exhaust bolts

B-train

Full Access Member
Reaction score
With those miles, needed repairs (you mentioned front transfer case - did you mean front diffential?), rust, and wanting another 100k out of it I would personally sell it as is and look for a southern or western vehicle with less miles and no rust. The corrosion will slowly eat away at their waller as it proceeds to nickel ans dime them for "must haves" like rear A/C, fuel lines, brake lines, added labor at shops for torch time, etc. For $12k you can find quite a few for sale. Shop in a retirement state like FL for a good quantity. AZ, CA, and TX are also good spots from my experience.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CrazyCoates12