2012 Yukon XL Denali 6.2L Cam Swap Thread

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ls1frc

Full Access Member
Reaction score
VVT is awesome. The install is a little scarier though, easy to miss the alignment pin which would be a disaster. Also have to take apart the cam phaser and put a block in it.

ls1frc

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Also yeah a lot of misinformation about what the park position is. I wouldnt have run one without degreeing. Makes sense to stick with 3 bolt if you want an easier install for sure.

OP
OP
Geotrash

Geotrash

Dave
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Also yeah a lot of misinformation about what the park position is. I wouldnt have run one without degreeing. Makes sense to stick with 3 bolt if you want an easier install for sure.
How'd you keep your crank from turning while you torqued the cam bolt?

ls1frc

Full Access Member
Reaction score
How'd you keep your crank from turning while you torqued the cam bolt?

I used a flywheel locking tool, it bolts where your starter goes. Then I just used a long pipe on my breaker bar, wasn't hard. Lining up the pin was the harder part because you can't see it like on a 3 bolt cam. I had nightmares I got it wrong lol.

randeez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I used a flywheel locking tool, it bolts where your starter goes. Then I just used a long pipe on my breaker bar, wasn't hard. Lining up the pin was the harder part because you can't see it like on a 3 bolt cam. I had nightmares I got it wrong lol.

it is a pita....like you said you cant see it, you're trying to line up the vvt gear with the chain lined up dot to dot, and the pin into the back.
i ended up putting a couple wraps of tape on my old vvt cam bolt and threaded it till it bound up the tape so i could spin and pull the cam forward behind the vvt gear.

OP
OP
Geotrash

Geotrash

Dave
Supporting Member
Reaction score
it is a pita....like you said you cant see it, you're trying to line up the vvt gear with the chain lined up dot to dot, and the pin into the back.
i ended up putting a couple wraps of tape on my old vvt cam bolt and threaded it till it bound up the tape so i could spin and pull the cam forward behind the vvt gear.
That's why I didn't want it. I did the timing chain and guides on my BMW 740iL. It had the M62 with VANOS. I got it done, but it nearly drove me to drinking. Then again, maybe VVT would seem easy by comparison, but for me, when it comes to camshaft timing, simple is good.

OP
OP
Geotrash

Geotrash

Dave
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yep, saw those. Didn't feel like wrestling the starter out of there. Was hoping there was a easier way.

ls1frc

Full Access Member
Reaction score

Yeah that's a good idea. When I did mine, I just made sure I could spin the engine over before tightening the bolt. First time I did this, I saw the sprocket slip and the cam not move, so I knew I wasn't in. If it's spinning over with a loose bolt and everything is still synchronized, then it's properly indexed.

OP
OP
Geotrash

Geotrash

Dave
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Some positive news today. Roger is concerned that the one deeper gouge in the cam may have breached the hardening layer. He's asked me to send it in for inspection and has offered to warranty it out, even though neither of us believe it's the cam's fault. That would mean either a regrind or complete new cam. THAT's service. He's out of lifters though so I'll order new ones from elsewhere. I continue to be impressed by his quality of communication and support throughout this process. Amazing.

I'm going to finish the complete teardown and get it all ready for the fresh cam to go in when it arrives. I'm going to keep the dual springs and install the Fel-Pro seals after all, and will run the new Melling pump as previously mentioned.

Update: I ordered Morel 6504 lifters from Texas Speed today.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Frank Turrentine