2012 Yukon XL Denali 6.2L Cam Swap Thread

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ls1frc

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Excellent. Thanks again for the help - gonna owe you a bottle of scotch even if you don't make a tutorial :)

Think I'm gonna go with the Brian Tooley Stage 2 truck cam.
Specs: 212/218 .553/.553 111+0
https://briantooleyracing.com/btr-camshaft-gen-3-4-truck-stage-2-v2-btr31218110.html

Spoke to them on the phone and confirmed that Cam Motion is likely the supplier but it's made to BTR specs. Going to go with BTR beehive springs and standard valve stem seals. I'll verify preload this time and will order standard length BTR pushrods as well.

They confirmed they have everything in stock and that it should arrive by Monday. That means I can get this wrapped up over the holidays, too.

Yeah can't really go wrong with that setup + the morel lifters. It's a a set it and forget setup. My 5.3 used the stage 1 version, it ran well and was quiet.

Happy to assist.

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'd have to agree with thompsoj22 here...

I went down a rabbit hole once with Lunati cams. Every cam they sent me made a horrible whining noise. So loud you could hear it over the radio inside the cabin and it was a very high frequency. They basically took no responsibility for it.

I posted about that on the forums, I think it was like 2013. Cam Motion replied to it and said it was probably the finish on the cam lobes. He sent me a cam for FREE and it fixed the problem, dead quiet. They earned a customer for life. Every single cam I have purchased after that has been cam motion.

Cam Motion also cam doctors every cam that goes out, so you know the specs are what they're supposed to be.

Since you're doing the 3 bolt, order one up and get their 8620 core. I ran that alloy in my G8 for 40k daily driven miles, still looks brand new.

I serviced the overhead doors for their shop years ago and had a nice convo with the owner. Verifying perfection was one thing he harped about. Had I not gotten the friend deal on my TSP cam, I definitely would've bought from them.

OP
OP
Geotrash

Geotrash

Dave
Supporting Member
Reaction score
All of the new parts have arrived. Gonna tear into it this evening and tomorrow and see how much I can get done. Not looking forward to dropping that oil pan again, but se la vie. Intake manifold is already off. Hopefully it will all go much faster this time.

thompsoj22

Full Access Member
Reaction score
california native "REPUBLICAN" high desert
Thanks for checking in! Made good progress over the weekend but still don’t have the heads off yet. Decided to leave and go camping for the week with our ‘07 Denali.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Great choice! Thanks for using the forum to document your challenges as it without a doubt will help other forum users to make decisions. And your end result of longevity and reliabilty will give you confidence when the vehicle is still pulling strong at 200k miles!

randeez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for checking in! Made good progress over the weekend but still don’t have the heads off yet. Decided to leave and go camping for the week with our ‘07 Denali.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Don't feel bad...started working on mine like 3 years ago and still not done

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chootem